Accepting research grant for PhD work while on H1B

SEN

Hi all,

I am on H1B visa and pursuing PhD parallely. There is a call for proposals for a research grant in the topic I am interested to do research. The call is from an industry group in Canada. As per H1B rules, am I allowed to accept the grant? I guess this doesn't come under the definition of working for another employer and earning salary or compensation for the work.

Please advice.

Thanks

Sen

Yes it does! Normally a research grant requires your presence at the university working and being paid by the university. This requires F-1 status. The grant is to the university. Few are directly to students. What does your advisor think about this? You are not going to be granted use of university facilities without going through their procedures which are very strict.

While there may be some way for you to get a concurrent H1B, you should consult an attorney and the university you attend before applying. If the grant is good enough, go to full time F-1 and save your H1B time until after graduation.

t75

Thanks a lot. Yes, I checked with an attorney. It seems that I will need a concurrent H1B either directly from the sponsors or from the university to accept the grant . I don't want to leave my current job just for the grant.

Thanks for your quick reply.

• 4 months later...

Hi Sen... I'd like some advice on doing a Phd along with a H1B. Would you be willing to share some of your experience with me?

I am considering that option, but the legality and practicality of such a scenario always concerns me. Glad to see someone in the same boat.

--

Venky

Hi Sen... I'd like some advice on doing a Phd along with a H1B. Would you be willing to share some of your experience with me?

I am considering that option, but the legality and practicality of such a scenario always concerns me. Glad to see someone in the same boat.

--

Venky

It is tough, very tough. I attended graduate school while working on H1. Absolutely zero free time.

Archived