Reform legal immigrants before reforming illegal immigration

phoenix2010

http://news.yahoo.com/senators-restart-talks-us-immigration-reform-plan-153200663.html.

Politicians wants to reform illegal immigration? What about legal immigrants waiting for green card for more than 10+ years, who followed rules, pay taxes, etc.

Why can't legal immigrants get organized and sign a petition or do something than waiting in the queue for ever?

Attorneys or murthy forum veterans any ideas?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are talking about citizenship for illegals but don't even care about permanent residency for legals..

because citizens can vote but permanent residents can't...

They are not talking about citizenship for illegals.

That's the press which doesn't know anything about the process.

It is about making illegals legal, and that means a GC. Which of course, like every other GC, can result in naturalization after having the GC for a while.

Please guys, educate yourself about this before posting inaccurate stuff.

And in addition, a CIR has good things for everybody.

Embrace it. If you do, you get relief as well. If you don't, you won't get anything.

It is THAT simple.

And quite frankly, with a group of legal immigrants having had nothing better to do for over a year to try to screw over other legal immigrants with one of the worst immigration-related bill ever, HR3012, legals don't have much to complain about.

It would only be a lot of hypocrisy,

Only people who always spoke out against HR3012 would have any moral right to even think about complaining about a CIR.

Here are some rules of politics:

1. People who can deliver the votes to elect a POTUS go first.

2. People who have an acute problem go before those with a tolerable problem.

Now, I do believe that this may be a unique opportunity to fix the legal immigration system, however, it needs to be done smart. The problem with the "legal" lobby, and EB lobby in particular, is that for the past five years it poo-pooed on the Hispanic lobby, and Hispanic lobby is now calling the shots. Oops.

They are not talking about citizenship for illegals.

That's the press which doesn't know anything about the process.

It is about making illegals legal, and that means a GC. Which of course, like every other GC, can result in naturalization after having the GC for a while.

Please guys, educate yourself about this before posting inaccurate stuff.

There is a difference between GC and citizenship. But there is "BIG" difference when you get it by following the rules and without following the rules.

And in addition, a CIR has good things for everybody.

Embrace it. If you do, you get relief as well. If you don't, you won't get anything.

It is THAT simple.

That's correct. But I guess here CIR is for illegal immigrants?

Correct me if I am wrong.

And quite frankly, with a group of legal immigrants having had nothing better to do for over a year to try to screw over other legal immigrants with one of the worst immigration-related bill ever, HR3012, legals don't have much to complain about.

Only people who always spoke out against HR3012 would have any moral right to even think about complaining about a CIR.

I think the issue here is about 'reforming illegal immigrants' not about 'HR3012'.

I could be wrong, but I think it has to do with the sheer volume of people. There are far more illegal immigrants in USA then legal immigrants (like us). The government (and in a way rightly so) want to solve the bigger of the two. I wish it was different but it is what it is.

Do you really think this will "Solve" the problem??? The govt is just doing it for votes not for solving it. Lets say they make 15 million illegals legal today. What will happen to the next illegal who jumps through the fence. Within a year you will see million more illegals. What then? Now since they know every illegal will become legal anyways, why won't they enter illegally?

Nobody is talking about what will happen next after you make them legal !! That's the real issue. Reagan gave amnesty to 3 million illegals in 1986. What happened after that is in front of view. This will never end, it will only get worse.

Do you really think this will "Solve" the problem??? The govt is just doing it for votes not for solving it.

Sigh.

It has nothing to do with votes.

It is just the right thing to do.

These people are exploited. Getting them out of the shadow is good for them AND the US economy.

And in any case, a CIR is for ALL immigrants.

I think the issue here is about 'reforming illegal immigrants' not about 'HR3012'.

A CIR is for ALL immigrants.

If you want something for yourself, you have to work with others. Working against others only leads to retaliation which would in this context mean no relief, e.g., for the backlogs. And it is in that context that I mentioned HR3012. People need to work with others, not against others. That is true in immigration issues as well as inn normal life.

Do you really think this will "Solve" the problem??? The govt is just doing it for votes not for solving it. Lets say they make 15 million illegals legal today. What will happen to the next illegal who jumps through the fence. Within a year you will see million more illegals. What then? Now since they know every illegal will become legal anyways, why won't they enter illegally?

Nobody is talking about what will happen next after you make them legal !! That's the real issue. Reagan gave amnesty to 3 million illegals in 1986. What happened after that is in front of view. This will never end, it will only get worse.

Making illegal immigrants legal is nothing but making smuggling legal...!!!!

There are 15 million illegals utilizing the infrastructure (schools, hospitas/l ERs, driving without licenses, etc etc) without paying their full share of taxes, & their brethren vote en bloc, virtually deciding who the POTUS is........contrast this with us - ~100K Indians, 100K chinese/ ROW - all hold jobs, pay taxes, follow the laws, besides paying regularly into the USCIS kitty!! No electoral power. Not a problem to the society. Why bother with us???? There has NEVER been any talk of comprehensive legal immigration reform in isolation (other than numerous half-baked bills with not the slightest prospect of becoming law)... Hopefully, a CIR bill would contain meaningful fixes to the legal immigration system as well. Please get involved in advocacy to advance our cause, however you can.

So what was the "other" group of EB immigrants doing ? Doing something to help ALL legal immigrants? Or just happily screwing one group taking advantage of an illogical "quota" system ?

Sigh.

These people are exploited. Getting them out of the shadow is good for them AND the US economy.

Giving relief to illegals over legals just passes a message that it is better to be illegal than be legal. Imagine a child who came on H4 visa with his parent and a child who migrated illegaly. The H4 child keeps waiting for years and remains in H4; the illegally migrated child gets legal, GreenCard ... courtesy -- "administrative reform".

Illegal immigrants remain a priority because their friends and families form a huge vote bank.

For OP's question, there is nothing preventing legals from getting organized.

Background is that there have been laws to help legals (compare pre-AC21 to current days: unlimited ability to renew h1b post-I140 approval, change jobs post-485+6 months, etc.)

It would be fantastic if they increase the annual quota; but the issue is not the numbers are limited now. They will always be limited.

whatever legislation happens will have to include EB related reforms as well. let us not pit illegals vs legals; let us propose fixes that we would like to see for EB-reform. Doing petitions, etc. comes next.

Giving relief to illegals over legals just passes a message that it is better to be illegal than be legal. Imagine a child who came on H4 visa with his parent and a child who migrated illegaly. The H4 child keeps waiting for years and remains in H4; the illegally migrated child gets legal, GreenCard ... courtesy -- "administrative reform".

I agree with you. I have seen these types of cases personally.In fact my current supervisor has to wait 18yrs to get his GC.

Illegal immigrants remain a priority because their friends and families form a huge vote bank.

Forst point - total BS. Child on H4 will become a permanent resident in a few years, most likely before entering college. I know tons of them. The child who entered illegally will languish illlegally for years and will likely never fullfil their potential. Not everyone is lucky to enter just in time to be eligible for benefits (benefits that don't give them legal status, by the way) - most have aged out.

Second. Yes, you are right. Such is life. The way you are dealing with it is not helpful to you.

Sigh.

You did not answer the question I raised. What will happen AFTER they make all the illegals legal? What will happen to the next million illegals who jump the fence?

As you can see nobody wants to talk about that, not even you !!

The fact that CIR helped a lot of immigrants who entered the country illegally at young age shows US compassion towards aliens. Instead of questioning the favor to them, We should realize that this move is a positive move.

To me, It gives hope and trust on US immigration laws. I personally never thought that any illegal immigrant would be shown any compassion in this country. But the recent CIR gives me hope. At this time, I have positive hope that the reforms will be done for the aliens waiting for their fair share.

I agree with JoeF and Belle. Lets work with others and not against others.

Archived