F1 to H1-B

lenkinserin

I have done MBA and I worked for a school during my OPT period. My employer wasn't ready to file H1-b, so after completion of my OPT period, I decided to go back to school for doing Phd program. So currently, I am in my first semester of Phd program as well as I have on campus employment of 20 hrs. I recently found a job at a universityand my employer filed H1-B petition (premium processing) and it's in the process. I have few questions:

1) Since, I'm in the first semester of my Phd program, is it okay if I take the job?

2) My offer letter says November 12th as my commencement date but my H1-B petition filed late, so there is no way I can start working from November 12th. So, how is this going to affect my H1-B process?

Assuming your H1 application was filed before the quota got exhausted, you should upgrade to premium processing so that you will hear from USCIS within 15 days. If that isn't an option, then your best bet is to request your future employer to push back the start date on the offer letter to a date by which you are confident you will hear back from USCIS.

@sid_red---My case has ben filed under premium processing.

Once H1-B petition is approved, what are the documents do we have to submit to international office of the the school? Is it just copy of offer letter?

The I-94 shows the status. Just show them the I-94. They'll probably make a copy of it.

Archived