DS-160 Form question - Simple but urgent

carpediem24

I have always had this confusion when I am filling up forms now. I am hoping someone can help me here.

I am Single, currently on H1B in the US. I am filling up the DS-160 form to schedule a H1B Visa appointment in December in India. But when I visit India, I'll marry and will have my wife with me for a H4 Visa interview. So, effectively we will be appearing for the interview together, me for H1b and she, for her H4.

So logic tells me that my current marital status is what should be entered in the form, which is Single. Am I correct?

What will my fiancee mention in her seperate DS-160 form? Her purpose of travel will be 'Spouse of a H1b worker' but she would have mentioned 'Single' as her current marital status in the 'Personal Information' section. Doesnt that prove to be a discrepancy?

What should we both mention?

I'd appreciate if someone can answer correctly. Thanks in Advance!

If you are attending interview after your marriage(needless to mention to carry documents to prove it), your responses in DS160 should reflect your status at time of interview which would be married and not single.

Yes, she would have to mention married and purpose of travel will be 'Spouse of a H1b worker'.

Got it. Thanks people! Thats how I filled it.

I am still waiting for a favorable date for the interview.

I do have another question. I know that I have to take a fingerprinting appointment 24 hrs before the Visa interview appointment. Does it strictly have to be 24 hrs at least?

What I mean is, I'd like an early morning appointment. Something like 8AM. Does that mean a Fingerprinting appointment on the previous day but at, say, 10AM wont work coz its just 22 hrs? Or is it theoretically the previous day that matters? This is only because I am on a time crunch and have to return to my town as soon as possible on the same day as the interview.

Archived