I797 Valid till Sep 2015, Passport Expires in April 2014 - Need to go to Visa stamping

areddy1234

Hi,

I have my H1B valid untill Sep 2015, I want to go for Visa stamping and my passport's validity is untill April 2014.

My questions is, since my passport is valid only untill april 2014 - If I get my visa will they be issuing me visa only untill 2014?

What are my chances for renewing my passport 2 years ahead and go for interview with new passport? Will that increase my chances of getting visa stamped untill 2015?

Please advise.

Thanks,

Areddy.

First thing, you cannot renew your passport 2 years ahead of expiration date. You can apply for new passport when your existing passport's validity is less than 12 months.

Coming to your visa, surely you will be granted visa as per the validity of I-797 irrespective of your passport validity. But there are chances of getting I-94 in port of entry till your passport expiration date rather than actual visa expiration date while returning back to USA. And even this one, it all depends on the immigration officer and the port of entry you are entering to USA.

I had similar experience 3 years back. I got my visa approved till I-797 validity when attended for H1B extension in Mexico. But in port of entry I got I-94 as per my passport validity which is before my I-797 and visa expiry date. It was happened for me when I went to Mexico by road but after returning back to USA I visited India. While returning from India, in airport I got I-94 as per my visa irrespective of my passport validity.

I hope this info would be helpful for you. Good Luck!!

Don't worry. Visa Officer will give Visa till Sep 2015. But at POE they will give I-94 till Passport expiration date only i.e., April 2014.

Visa stamp on the old passport will still be valid even if you get the new Passport. But you need to apply for I-94 extension or exit and reenter country to get the new I-94 before the current one expires.

Check your country policies for Passport renewal, usually they will allow you to renew Passport not more than 6 months/1 year in advance.

where can i find expiration date for I-94. I entered US on sept 2nd 2006. My I-94 has this date stamped on it.

My passport expiration date in aug 2014. Am i good to go?

If you entered US back in 2006 then I guess your employer might have applied for H1-B/L1-B extensions in between. Then you should have got the new I-797. That will have a new I-94 attached at the bottom. Check there you will find the new expiration date.

• 2 weeks later...

I just had experience of entering USA with passport expiration of 23rd may'2013 and I-797 expiration of 27th april 2013. At POE officer gave me I-94 with 27th april expiration. He said to me make sure I renew my passport on time. It was very easy..

Also, I have a question, I am going to renew my passport from Indian embassy in USA. I will get new passport in december'2012 and i am planning to go to India for few days. Do I need to go to US embassy in India to get stamp on my new passport or I dont need stamp on my new passport since in my old passport I have stamp until 27th April 2013!!

Thank you for help..

• 3 years later...

Hi,

I have approved H-4 till Sept 2018

passport expiry July 2016 ( 7 months from arrival date after )

going to India for stamping (drop box eligible )  on Nov 10th 2015

coming back to USA on Dec 18th 2015

need help for.

1. will there be any issue in stamping or will it affect of stamping end date.

2. If I get it stamped and @ port of entry I-94 given till July 2016 then what will be the process for extension of I-94 after getting new passport

3. do i need to step out of country after getting new passport

appreciate your help.

• 3 months later...

Archived