Why do people go to Canada for Visa stamping

nineballs

I am pretty new to the forum but I have seen a lot of questions about Visa stamping in Canada. All these people visit Canada just for Visa stamping. I don't understand the reason, why? I mean, If they have a valid I-94, why do they need a new visa.

I never visited Canada. And, never had any problems. Whenever, I go out of the US and my Visa is expired, I get it stamped then. why to go to Canada just for stamping?

Am I missing something?

Most people are in a change of status situation, where they have to travel.

Say you want to visit niagara "Horshoe side", and your visa is expired/not valid anymore, then its easier to jump on to Canadian side and get stamped and re-enter. (Literally not jumping, read as "Going thru visa process).

Travel to India in itself is very demanding, and trying to squeeze an indian US consulate visit during your trip, is much more difficult. Its easier to take a road trip across border, have some chilled beer, get stamped and forget about the visa for another 3 years. oh also, its think about the privilege of working from hotel which makes it a good excuse, to be 3-4 days away from work. more perks! and what about all those photos you click away in canada?

Its worth it, I'd say. (but all of this, for people with US masters I guess), i think there are restrictions/ possible delays for people without US education transcripts.

I am pretty new to the forum but I have seen a lot of questions about Visa stamping in Canada. All these people visit Canada just for Visa stamping. I don't understand the reason, why? I mean, If they have a valid I-94, why do they need a new visa.

I never visited Canada. And, never had any problems. Whenever, I go out of the US and my Visa is expired, I get it stamped then. why to go to Canada just for stamping?

Am I missing something?

Are you from USCIS?????? :) LOL

IMHO....I dont want to stand in line for h1B interview with the IT sweat shops like Infy, TCS, Saty, Wipr in US in consulate in India. Most of these companies consume the H1b quota just by applying for H1b's even for people sitting on bench and even with no valid project requirement in US.

We heard of incidents of Infy abusing the B1 visa just because they can send programmers to work at Client location without paying them in

US dólares. I heard of my friend from Infy being paid 80$ per day and he worked at Client location doing programming on B1 visa.Mean while infy charges client billing of 60$ per hr for the services.This is one of the many crooked ways infy makes money and posts huge profits.

And this ruined their consulting business bcoz, the same friend went for H1b visa interview with valid req thru Infy he is denied the visa, bcoz the VO thought his reason for previous travel on B1 for client meetings and his stay in US for 6 months. (Come on..does a programmer need 6months to be in meetings with the client...when will he actually provide the solution)

These companies swallow the H1b quota and even the appointments at the consulate in one gulp.

I used to work for one of these companies back in 2006. Got tired of their treatment of employess as rats in a rat race.

FCUK em...

I am free man now.

This question brings something that came up in a conversation between a friend and I. As per AVR, you can go into Canada/Mexico and return within 30 days without a stamping. So does this mean, a person can go into Canada, fly back home (India, Pakistan etc) for 14 days then return to Canada and re-enter US with valid I-94? Why go through the risk of a stamping (for ppl with valid I-94) if this is possible?

1) My understanding is - the validity of I-94 allows you to remain in the country legally but once you step outside the country, the only document that allows you to come back in legally is a valid visa.

To answer your question - why do people travel to Canada for visa stamping?

1) I'm going to refer to just H1B stamping

2) There is the general belief that stamping in Canada/Mexico is easier than stamping back in India for e.g. The theory is that because of the large number of applicants in India, the US consulate in India is more stringent and thus issues more denials. This theory basically applies to all 'developing countries'

3) If you were planning on going on vacation for example to Europe, Canada is closer to you than travelling all the way back to India or Africa just to do your Visa stamping. You may ask - why not do the stamping in the European country that you are visiting? I was made to understand that not all countries allow for 3rd country national stamping unless you are resident in that country.

1) When your travelling out of US. I94 will be taken by the airlines at the time of issuing the boarding pass. for example travelling to Middle east or Europe. So there is no way to come back to US travelling or fly back home (India, Pakistan etc) from via Canada with a valid I94.

2)Automatic Visa Revalidation, or AVR, is a term used to describe a benefit given to nonimmigrant visitors to the United States who maintain lawful status and wish to visit Canada, Mexico, or an adjacent island only, for up to 30 days. If the nonimmigrant has a form I-94 that has not yet expired, nor will expire by the time the person wishes to return to the United States, then the I-94 takes the place of the otherwise required visa. This is true even if the individual received a change of nonimmigrant status (such as from F-1 to H1B). The I-94 will be treated as though it were a visa issued for the appropriate category.

The legal authority for this is found at 8 CFR 41.112(d).

Anyone intending to use this provision should take particular note of the following:

• If you apply for a visa at a U.S. consular office, you may not use AVR to reenter the United States irrespective of whether the visa is or is not issued.
  • You must retain your original form I-94 - do not allow the airline to take it if you fly to your destination.
  • You must return within 30 days.
  • You may not travel to any other countries.

This question brings something that came up in a conversation between a friend and I. As per AVR, you can go into Canada/Mexico and return within 30 days without a stamping. So does this mean, a person can go into Canada, fly back home (India, Pakistan etc) for 14 days then return to Canada and re-enter US with valid I-94? Why go through the risk of a stamping (for ppl with valid I-94) if this is possible?

AVR can only be utilized if you remain in North America and the virgin islands but not cuba. If you fly out of canada to India then you loose the possibility of AVR. You need to get a new visa

Here are all the rules for AVR

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~ovis/updates/h1b/travel.html

Archived