Jump to content
All posts are moderated, so it will take time for your post to appear!
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  

EAD Renewal

Recommended Posts

Hi All,

I really apprciate if someone could help me to get information on my below questions. It is very urgent as I need to apply EAD renewal asap.

We applied for EAD,AP,I-485 in Oct -2011 as my PD is May 2007. I am dependent applicant and my EAD/AP combo card is expiring in coming Dec-2012 and my I-485 is still pending, where my husband's I-485 approved and received his GC in Mar-2012. As I am going to start my work in couple of days, I am going to apply for renewal EAD in this week.

1. Do I need to pay any renewal fee ? (from I-765 instructions document is it showing no fee required if we come into C(9) category..but want to make sure about fee)

2. Can I go only for EAD renewal without renewal of AP?

3. Am I eligible to e-file? (there is a little confusion what they mentioned in USCIS website about e-filing and paper mailing)

4. Can I file/renewal myself or need to go through attorney?

Thanks in advance for your help..



Share this post

Link to post

You can do it yourself. What you should do is to get a phone consult with the firm of Murthy and you will get your answers. As regards the AP it would be silly not to renew that. We all have elders at home. What happens if you have to make an emergency trip?

Share this post

Link to post

efile is not applicable for 485 AOS pending applicants (c9)


only the following EB are eligible for efile.

Employment-Based Nonimmigrant Categories:

©(17)(i) B-1 Domestic Employee of nonimmigrant

©(17)(ii) B-1 Domestic of certain U.S. citizens

©(17)(iii) Employee foreign airline

(a)(17) Spouse of E-1 or E-2 Nonimmigrant

(a)(18) Spouse of L1 Nonimmigrant

Share this post

Link to post

1. You do not have to pay fee for EAD and AP. Make sure to include your I-485 receipt with your filing.

2. You do not have to file for AP every time you file for EAD. They can be filed separately. But since there is not a fee for AP also why not go ahead and file both anyway. it is a pain to get an emergency AP when you really need one. Trust me on that.

3. Looking at the instructions you are not eligible to e-file. C(9) category is eligible but however the online program expect you to pay a fee and cannot handle C(9) with no fee applicants.

EAD Applicants Who Have Filed for Adjustment of Status:

©(9) Adjustment applicants who are required to pay a fee for Form I-765.

©(16) Adjustment Applicant Based on Continuous Residence Since January 1, 1972

4. There is no rule that you need an attorney to file for your so you can file for yourself. But having an attorney gives you a little bit piece of mind.

Hope this helps.

Share this post

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this