EAD Renewal

shivap78

Hi All,

I really apprciate if someone could help me to get information on my below questions. It is very urgent as I need to apply EAD renewal asap.

We applied for EAD,AP,I-485 in Oct -2011 as my PD is May 2007. I am dependent applicant and my EAD/AP combo card is expiring in coming Dec-2012 and my I-485 is still pending, where my husband's I-485 approved and received his GC in Mar-2012. As I am going to start my work in couple of days, I am going to apply for renewal EAD in this week.

1. Do I need to pay any renewal fee ? (from I-765 instructions document is it showing no fee required if we come into C(9) category..but want to make sure about fee)

2. Can I go only for EAD renewal without renewal of AP?

3. Am I eligible to e-file? (there is a little confusion what they mentioned in USCIS website about e-filing and paper mailing)

4. Can I file/renewal myself or need to go through attorney?

Thanks in advance for your help..

Regards,

Shiva

• 4 weeks later...

efile is not applicable for 485 AOS pending applicants (c9)

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=3325b75d8e5e6310VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=9059d9808bcbd010VgnVCM100000d1f1d6a1RCRD

only the following EB are eligible for efile.

Employment-Based Nonimmigrant Categories:

©(17)(i) B-1 Domestic Employee of nonimmigrant

©(17)(ii) B-1 Domestic of certain U.S. citizens

©(17)(iii) Employee foreign airline

(a)(17) Spouse of E-1 or E-2 Nonimmigrant

(a)(18) Spouse of L1 Nonimmigrant

1. You do not have to pay fee for EAD and AP. Make sure to include your I-485 receipt with your filing.

2. You do not have to file for AP every time you file for EAD. They can be filed separately. But since there is not a fee for AP also why not go ahead and file both anyway. it is a pain to get an emergency AP when you really need one. Trust me on that.

3. Looking at the instructions you are not eligible to e-file. C(9) category is eligible but however the online program expect you to pay a fee and cannot handle C(9) with no fee applicants.

EAD Applicants Who Have Filed for Adjustment of Status:

©(9) Adjustment applicants who are required to pay a fee for Form I-765.

©(16) Adjustment Applicant Based on Continuous Residence Since January 1, 1972

4. There is no rule that you need an attorney to file for your so you can file for yourself. But having an attorney gives you a little bit piece of mind.

Hope this helps.

Archived