Working when spouse greencard is under process?

Hello Everyone,

I am working for a Company 'A' (its a consluting company) at company 'B' (end client).

And I am being offered a job at Company B.I am currently on H1.I have 3 year left on my current H1

But company B wont do my greencard.

My wife is working here as a FULLTIME ( say Company C), her company will be filing her green card next year.Company C said they can file my green card as well(I believe this is spouse greencard and I need to pay Company 'C'all the fees & expenses etc).

Question

1. Can I file green card through someother company ( in this case Company 'C') where I am not working?

2. Is it possible for me to work here(after my current H1 expires) when my greencard is under process through Company 'C'?

Thanks in advance

You seem to be a bit confused.

When your spouse's PD is current, both you and your spouse can file I-485s, you as dependent. That would be your application, so you would pay it directly if company C doesn't pay for it (good employers do.)

If you have an I-485 pending, you can get an EAD which allows you to work.

Thanks JoeF.

So lets say, If my spouse I-140 is approved ( mine as well) before my current H1B expires, can I get another 3 year extension through company A using approved I-140 from company C.

There is no dependent I-140. You can not benefit in any form from your spouse's I-140 from company C.

When your spouse's PD is current, both your spouse and you can file an I-485. Until then, you have to maintain legal status on your own.

That also means that your H1 can not be extended based on an I-140 for your spouse. You only get into the picture when the PD is current and you can file an I-485 as dependent.

Archived