First (Given) Name incorrect in I-797

balwant

Hello,

I need your input on issue with my first name on I-797 and I-129.

My first name has two words as given name on the passport. My company attorney made a mistake while filing H1B transfer in I-129 petition form.

First name was split into two (First name & Middle name) on I-129 petition and thus the same was mistake was carried to I-797 approval notice.

I just noticed it, while filling DS-160, since planned for INDIA trip in September. I need your expert advice, to know the steps in correcting my first name on I-797.

My INDIA tickets are already booked and I want to get this issue resolved as soon as possible, so can reserve an appointment.

It would helpful, if you guys can lead me in the direction.

So the attorney needs to file an I-129 amendment to get this corrected? If yes, can we do a premium processing? If no, do you know how long does this take?

Else, can this be resolved directly at the consulate in INDIA? Is it risky to travel with incorrect first name on I-797?

Thanks for the help. Will be eagerly waiting for your advice(s).

Thank you.

Balwant

If your name is too long(too many Chars) then it can't fit in your first name.Even I have two words in my first name. When my empl filed my first H1, he used both words as my first name and when I got my I797 approved it had last two letters missing. So when I filed for an H1 transfer he used my second word of my first name as the Middle name. And so far I didn't have any probs.

Thanks for the prompt reply Vishwa.

My name per say is not that long, but sure has two words in it. My attorney did the same as per your H1B transfer, dividing the first name into first and middle. But, it may be by mistake but not with many chars.

I spoke to company attorney and they mentioned that passport will be considered in visa interview but not the approval notice. If I want, they can still submit an amendment for name correction which might take longer for regular processing.

You said, never faced a problem with this one. Did they (consulate/port of entry) people asked you, why the name was incorrect? If so, what should be our response.

I was thinking, this needs to be corrected eventually right.May be file an amendment. I am not sure if it's a good idea to file amendment now and it being in process while I go for visa interview?

But for now, unless my HR initiates a premium processing, I was thinking to leave it and carry a employment verification letter with correct complete name written on it.

If you have any other input, please do let me know.

Thanks.

• 3 months later...

Hey Guys,

I have a similar problem, but I heard that for Name Correction, I797 Amendment does NOT have a Premium Processing. Is that true? Please some one let me know.

Vishwa-Also please answer the question asked by balwant:

Did they (consulate/port of entry) people asked you, why the name was incorrect? If so, what should be our response.

Will be really helpful.

Thank you.

Vicky

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys,

I am facing the same problem. I filed for the H1B amendment of name correction to the Vermont Premium Center 2 months back.(I have filed initially my H1B processing to the Premium Service center, so i have sent even the amendment to the same center). We dont have any reply until now. If my employer calls them, they say its in process. Did anybody check with a lawyer,if it is ok to go for stamping ? I have my visa date on 3rd of december.

Thanks,

subbu

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello Subbu,

when you have applied for amendment for correction,How did u attend Visa interview without having the i797. my case is also like same. I have got small mistake in my I797 notice. (last letter truncated) my attorney applied for amendment.. its been two months by now.. no update yet. is it possible to attend visa stamping now in my case.. (my attorney says my current I797 has been submitted to USCIS for correction)

pls.. respond ... thanks in advance.

• 7 months later...

Hi,

I have one Typo in last name on my I797 receipt. I caontacted USCIS 2 months ago and they said they will send a new receipt within 30 days. They have not replied me since then. Can I go for visa stamping with the typo in the receipt? Can I take a letter from my attorney saying that there is a typo error in the receipt? 

Thanks,

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I have one Typo in last name on my I797 receipt. I caontacted USCIS 2 months ago and they said they will send a new receipt within 30 days. They have not replied me since then. Can I go for visa stamping with the typo in the receipt? Can I take a letter from my attorney saying that there is a typo error in the receipt? 

Thanks,

Hi ,

Even I have a typo on my I797, can you please guide on the process of changing it and on time to get the things done.

regards,

james

Archived