Eb2 application,employer will give 1099 instead of w2

Hi,

I currently have an approved i140 from employer A under eb3 filing but I would like to work for employer B as they will file eb2 for me. They will however give me 1099 instead Of w2. I would like to know if it is legal to do that -- their immigration lawyer said it shouldn't be an issue as long as they can prove that they can afford to pay me.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

please consult a lawyer.

what will be your status while working for company B? do you have EAD work authorization from your previous employer A (not mentioned)?

if you don't have a pending I-485 with EAD, you cannot work for company B without work authorization so you will need H1 from company B or wait until they apply your LC, I-140, and you apply I-485/765 before you can start working for company B.

Originally posted by Otinneed:

Hi,

I currently have an approved i140 from employer A under eb3 filing but I would like to work for employer B as they will file eb2 for me. They will however give me 1099 instead Of w2. I would like to know if it is legal to do that -- their immigration lawyer said it shouldn't be an issue as long as they can prove that they can afford to pay me.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

• 4 years later...

please consult a lawyer.

what will be your status while working for company B? do you have EAD work authorization from your previous employer A (not mentioned)?

if you don't have a pending I-485 with EAD, you cannot work for company B without work authorization so you will need H1 from company B or wait until they apply your LC, I-140, and you apply I-485/765 before you can start working for company B.

When you have H1 with Employer-A. you cannot get w2 or 1099 from Employer-B. It's NOT legal to take 1099 from employer-B. Don't go in to risks

Archived