PhD in Math, EB1??

I have a PhD in applied mathematics from a US university. I developed algorithms to know all possible solutions for biological recombination mechanisms. These algorithms shorten the experimental time which can take 3 years to complete. My work is very useful in cancer research to understand how cancer cells recombine and replicate.

I have 2 publications in peer reviewed journals. These papers have more than 10 citations in journals like Cell. Collaborating one paper with Japanese mathematicians and writing two more papers.

Currently, I am working in the financial industry for the last 4 yrs as a consultant providing my expertise in quantitative roles.

Do I qualify for an EB1?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

t75,

there are plenty of people in the financial industry who do not want to work in academia. There are many reasons - money, desire to live in New York City, difficult to find a job in academia, not really interested in research anyway, etc.

As long as you argue that you have world-class expertise and that you are applying or planning to apply this expertise in the United States, it doesn't matter, what degrees you have and where you work. It is relatively straightforward to argue that finance and biology have a lot of similar mathematical applications. (First of all, it is true, and secondly, USCIS doesn't know much about it anyway. Chances are they don't know what an algorithm is, and I am totally serious.)

Academia is not the reason for the response.

OP stated: "I developed algorithms to know all possible solutions for biological recombination mechanisms. ... My work is very useful in cancer research to understand how cancer cells recombine and replicate."

He works in the financial industry,

These are far removed. I would expect OP to be doing research in biotech or biomedical research. His publication record indicates that is where his research is recognized. People can work in finance with far lesser credentials than OP likely has. If recommendations are from experts in biostatstics, etc. rather than finance, it will be hard to make that leap.

An attorney would be able to make that assessment, but OP needs to able to make connections between research for cancer and financial applications

• 2 months later...
Originally posted by Commentor:

sujataM,

I have a Ph.D. in Mathematics, and I work in financial industry. (I have other achievements, though). My EB1A was approved in March, 2011.

If you want, I can look at your resume/cv. Are you in New York City?

I am in the same boat. Physics Ph.D., did a postdoc for about 2 years, and working in the industry for a financial services firm. I have a couple of questions, which I need help with:

1. My lawyer wasn't sure if financial industry falls under the EB1-OR qualified academic field

2. I think I can justify two of the categories. Given that I got my Ph.D. in one field and working in finance, I am planning on selling myself as a "Computational Scientist" working on one of its application (which is true to an extent.. )

Any help would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

SujataM- did you finally apply? I guess a lot of people who have done quantitative phds move to finance. So a lot of people are in the same boat. I talked to a few lawyers and they have told me that its possible but the standards have been raised now because of too many chinese and indians applying( the USCIS sees them as jumping the queue).

commentator- it would be good to get your feedback. Do you work as a quant for a bank? what did you use as your "field" in the EB-1 application?

Archived