misrepresentation of intent

bhavson2002

Dear Friends,

I am private practitioner in india since 2005. I have US visitor visa since 2007 ( which i got on genuine visitor-tourism purpose only that time ), my brother- H1, sister US citizen, parents- recently became green card holders. I got married to girl on H1 in USA in februry 2012.

I had 1 year fellowship ( with workpermit in canada from 2008-2009, during that time i visited USA 5 times for less than 10 days duration )

Due to my changing family dynamics- i decided to go for usmle within last 2 years. I went to USA in august 2011 to give USMLE ( went back to india in 27 days ), and then december 2011 to give residency interviews. I got married during same visit ( went back to india on 27th february 2012 ). I am concerned as at the port of entry-during my both last visits- i didnt told immigration officer that i am here for exams and interviews- i told them i am here for tour and seeing 2-3 girls.

I was little worried that time- if i disclose the fact that i am here for step 2 cs exam and residency programs interviews- then i might not be admitted. But now big issue for now is-did i misrepresented my intent- or is it visitor visa violation? and what are the chances visa officer giving me hard time for H1 stamping interview?

Your help with be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Thank you so much Pontevecchio.

I didnt understood your reply fully.

My question is- during my last 2 visits- i told admitting officer that i am visiting my family ( for sure it was primary purpose ), but i gave exam and attended interviews also. I feel now- i did wrong and i would have disclosed about exam and interviews to admitting officer and now i feel might create problem while my visa interview for H1. As my previous 2 visits have b2 passport- while i gave exam and interviews which require b1 on your passport stamp. Do you think this creates problem during my visa interview? , and if yes how to admit and rectify the problem at visa interview. your opinion is appreciated.

Thank you so much Pontevecchio.

Those words are really comforting.

Why I was worried?- reason is one of collegue- was held by visa officer on this and he got 221g ( though he stayed for 5.5 months in same visit and did observership also ).

I will highly appreciate if you can provide me link- b2 visa- tourist is allowed to give exam and interview.

Thanks again.

I would ask you to maybe get a Lawyers take as a forum is nameless. I have come to the USA on a tourist visa and given all three parts of USMLE and at all times mentioning the reason. I have come to the USA in Tourist status and attended 40 Interviews for Residency and also mentioned it to the POE Officer.

A "Tourist Visa" (B-2) is a visa for "pleasure" while the "sister category" (B-1) is for "business". These two visas are issues as a combination (look in your passport it is a B1/B2). Most such admissions are not distinguished. Which ever B-1 or B-2 (or a combination) was on your I-94 was correct because your activities qualify as either "business" (if you are anal) or "pleasure" (if you find it pleasurable to further your career---and why wouldn't you?).

The real issue you could face is being married to someone in the U.S., however, as the spouse of an H-1B, you could enter as an H-4 and seek a change of status to your own H1-B later inside the U.S. (Be careful not to get sucked into a J-1 visa!) Also, there is an option to obtain LPR status as a physician through a National Interest Waiver (but it comes with strings attached for a few years--they make you earn it with a commitment to serve in an area or in a specialty or for a particular employer for a specified period).

SEE: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=e39718a1f8b73210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=a695a6c515083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

Thank you so much BigJoe5. I really appreciate such detailed explaination.

I am not too much worried on my marriage though- as i got married- incidentally with that girl ( though we were in contact for 1 year- we never met before. and i met her after almost 1.5 month of my arrival to USA and marriage was after 2.5 month of arrival to USA, and i left USA after 10 days of my marriage date to my home country). My program is sponsoring me H1- so H4 i wont need it.

My only worry was my admission to USA was for B2, and i did exams and interviews. If thats not considered wrong, then I am absolutely safe.

Thanks again.

Archived