All posts are moderated, so it will take time for your post to appear!
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
pss2125

H1B to F1 and back to H1B

So this is the story. My friend got a fulltime job in May 2009 and had H1. He was laid off in November 2011 and then shifted to F1. He has been searching for fulltime for the last 6 months and could not get any job. Now even the H1B qouta for this year has expired.

My question is: since he converted back to F1, does he have to come through 65000+20000 quota to get a job?

Or since he already had H1B visa, if he finds a job tomorrow even though H1B quota for this year is finished, the employer can do transfer and take him in H1B visa right away.

Thanks,

If he (you?) has been counted for the H1 quota in the last six years he is not counted again.

Thanks for the clarification. I had this doubt because if he is on F1, how a employer files for H1. Its not me, but I asked coz one should have all the information about what to do once laid off.

Well, if it is not you, can your friend not post a question for himself? Internet connectivity is widespread nowadays...

here is the answer

Generally, an individual who has previously been approved for H-1B status and has counted against the H-1B cap and has H-1B time remaining out of 6 year is not counted against the cap again for subsequent H-1B extensions or change of employer petitions.

If  your friend have exhausted 1 years on H1B then change to F-1, then an employer can file an H1 petition for him at any time.He can start immediately after H1 approval and not wait for 10/1

If you have been counted for the H1 quota in the last 6 years, you are not counted again, 

Changing to some other status F1 and back H1 will only give you whatever remainder time is left in this case 5 year 

You know that you've been answering a question that is over a year old, do you?

And I had answered it already in my first post on this thread, way back in June 2012...