Clarification on FT job

jsreeharsha

Hi,

I am currently in Masters OPT. Did my MBA from Miami University, Ohio- so my OPT cannot be extended and is valid till Aug 23rd. Though I have started my current work in Jan with a logistics firm as a IT Business Analyst- 3 month contract to hire (with h1b sponsorship & no desi consulting companies involved), they didn't file my h1b by April as the projects went on hold/scrapped. I was very determined not to join any desi consulting firms as i was worried that my resume might be padded up. I knew I was approaching the end and I finally got a FT job with another logistics company, who were ready to sponsor my h1b. But unfortunately, by the time the LCA got approved, the cap got exhausted and now I am stuck without going forward.

Honestly, I have worked hard and believed in myself the last 1 year to get a FT job and I did make it. But now, I dont want to miss this job as it has the characteristics of my dream job. Now, I would like to know are there any legal options to get CPT immediately by joining a university and get my h1b filed next year??

In the process, I actually found this university called *************** in San Deigo, CA. I know it is not accredited university and what i see from that university's website is that the university gives CPT from the day 1. Now, my new job is in Long Island, NY and I can fly to ***- in CA to attend my classes. But what is stopping me from taking a decision is:

1. Even though the CPT is issued by the University's OIE dept (on approval from USCIS), I dont understand why there are not so good reviews on that university online- esp with this CPT stuff? So isn't this a good option?

2. Why are people comparing this university to the Tri Valley Univ?

3. If I take CPT, is there a rule that I have to work within that state? I did try looking into the USCIS rules for the work location during a CPT. I dont think that they have mentioned anything specific to the location of the job? i.e. The job has to be done within the state of the university's location etc...

4. Most important- Are there any other options to deal with this issue at this point of time- of course legally???

Any valuable feedback during this crucial time of my career is greatly appreciated. If any legal person can help me to solve this case (legally), I am also willing to pay for their services.

I can reach me out to jsreeharsha@gmail.com

Thanks

Harsha

Now, my new job is in Long Island, NY and I can fly to ***- in CA to attend my classes. But what is stopping me from taking a decision is:

1. Even though the CPT is issued by the University's OIE dept, I dont understand why there are not so good reviews on that university online- esp with this CPT stuff? So isn't this a good option?

3. If I take CPT, is there a rule that I have to work within that state? I did try looking into the USCIS rules for the work location during a CPT. I dont think that they have mentioned anything specific to the location of the job? i.e. The job has to be done within the state of the university's location etc...

4. Most important- Are there any other options to deal with this issue at this point of time- of course legally???

Any valuable feedback during this crucial time of my career is greatly appreciated. If any legal person can help me to solve this case (legally), I am also willing to pay for their services.

Now, my new job is in Long Island, NY and I can fly to ***- in CA to attend my classes

That kind of "arrangement" is not going to work.

You must make a lot of money to fly cross country all the time...

Because they do similar shady things. Like this "flying in from across the country" stuff...

Don't sign up with fraudulent "universities". It is that simple.

Any valuable feedback during this crucial time of my career is greatly appreciated.

It is simple: avoid CPT. Do not sign up with non-accredited institutions.

Anything else will kill your career in the US.

All the money in the world can not rescue your career if you sign up with fakes.

There are no special, need based, or other options for U.S. employment authorization, e.g. H-1B visa, between OPT and next year's quota. As others have posted, the CPT route is trying to shortcut, get around, or otherwise circumvent the immigration laws, regulations, and rules. This is illegal, and you are putting yourself at significant risk of being banned from working in (and even visiting) the U.S. for many years.

Be a smart, honest person and don't do it. Immigration takes significant, careful, advanced planning. Do the right thing and accept that you will not be able to work in the U.S. for a while, and plan for the future.

"Why are people comparing this university to the Tri Valley Univ?"

=> Take a visit to *** before joining. You will know the similarity or differences with TVU. 99.5% students and faculty are from a particular country or rather say a particular part/ city for that country. No labs, no classes, no ... nothing. Students, faculty don't even talk in English, they talk in a regional language. They tell you to attend the classes in weekend, and when you fly there you won't find any classes/ faculty. They would tell you those emails were just for records. No need to come and attend classes. Better to have a visit to know more. See it, analyze it, if like choose it!

I won't wonder if USICS will take the similar steps to *** too!

Please read this carefully: http://forum.murthy....__fromsearch__1

TVU and **** are booked, next will be ***. Eager to destroy your future in USA, join ***!

(One simple reason: F1 status requires you to stay in same state of school. *** is in CA, and you will be working in NY. There is no correspondence course on F1)

Hi WiWeq- Thanks for your reply. But, I have actually went through USCIS link about CPT- What I can infer from the link is that they aren't particular about the location of the job as long, but it must be relevant to your course of study. Moreover, I also found in other good school's website that as long as CPT is mandatory for the for the degree since the start of the course, then the university can give CPT from first day. Again, what I hear from people is that *** made tough rules to ensure that attendance is compulsory for all the classes.. I am not trying to rebut you, and I really appreciate your concern shown here, but I dont want to miss this 1 time opportunity, until it is factually proven illegal. I've also looked about your point that F1 status requires to be in the same state of school- but I didn't find any USCIS F1 rules mentioning the same. Can you prove me your point...Again sorry - the intention is only to see the legal rules with my own eyes. Thanks

http://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/SLB/HTML/SLB/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-11261/0-0-0-17197/0-0-0-17800.html

"Hi WiWeq- Thanks for your reply. But, I have actually went through USCIS link about CPT"

=> In my previous post I explained some in and outs of ***. How I know this much? Because I hold an MBA from ***. It's only you what you choose!

In spite of knowing bad reputation on ***, I joined *** got the H1b while I was with *** had trip to India on I20, I faced no problem. This is the story of 2008 - 2010, when I lost the lottery in 2008 in Masters Quota. The most important thing, I didn't leave my MBA in middle once I got the H1b. This is important; it shows that your intention was to complete the degree (second masters) not the work authorization. That time they had a campus of 3 rooms/ halls in Sunnyvale, now I think (after USCIS's scrutiny) they moved to San Diego with bigger campus (hopefully) They have also stringent the rules of attendance after USCIS, the recent shut downs of schools.

Well, my duty is to say what's good and bad. It's individual's choice to choose one!

Hi WiWeq- Thanks for your reply. But, I have actually went through USCIS link about CPT- What I can infer from the link is that they aren't particular about the location of the job as long, but it must be relevant to your course of study.

It has to be within commuting range of the university, since you have to attend classes.

Flying across the country is not within commuting range.

And this stuff that *** does, claiming weekend classes, is nothing more than a ruse to hide that they essentially just selling CPT.

You would set yourself up for killing your career in the US, and possibly deportation.

• 1 year later...

Stay away from IT and similar frauds. It would be the death of your career in the US.

If you want to study, apply at a REAL university, best would be a public university.

If you want to work, you need to get a work permit.

Avoid CPT, it will only accelerate the death of your career.

jsreeharsha

have you joined *** for CPT? I am in the same boat and I know it has all the bad reviews. I am not sure if I will opt for it but wanted to know if you have joined and have any suggestions. Please advice.

Thanks and Regards.

Stay out of it. YOU CANNOT JOIN SOME SCHOOL JUST FOR CPT. Do you know why few schools were raided and closed??

If you want to work, go for H1.

Archived