H1 -> F1 -> H1

rohang

hi,

I am currently on H1, and doing a part time PG course with a very good University.

I will like to know if I can change my visa to F1? I think I should be, my international student dept. was very positive about that? But sill I want to confirm once more.

2nd and most important question is, after finishing my degree will I need to apply for fresh H1 or can I use my current H1 as I only used 2 years out of 6 yrs permitted?

If answer is I will be able to use remaining time of old H1b, then does that mean, I will be filling for H1b extension along with h1b trasfer (as new employer at that time will be different then current H1b employer?

Thanks

I will like to know if I can change my visa to F1? I think I should be, my international student dept. was very positive about that? But sill I want to confirm once more.

=> Yes, you can go for F1 and come back on H1b. For 6 total years of your H1b stay you will be cap exempted.

2nd and most important question is, after finishing my degree will I need to apply for fresh H1 or can I use my current H1 as I only used 2 years out of 6 yrs permitted?

=> There is nothing called H1b transfer. While changing employer on H1b, it’s always H1b extension. After F1 your employer will be filing your H1b with COS using receipt number of your old H1b.

Archived