Urgent - H1B expiry

Narinder

Hi All,

Need one urgent advice. My H1B visa and i-94 has already expired and my organization has filed for an extension but am still waiting for acknowledgement receipt. It has been only a week since my visa/i-94 is expired.

However I need to return back to India this weekend due to some personal emergency.

My questions are;

1. Can I face some issues at the US airport due to expired visa?

2. Is there any specific airline which I should prefer or avoid due to transit visa requirements.

3. Any other precautions/steps I should take to avoid any hassles.

Waiting for some quick responses.

Thanks in advance

Narinder

Hi All,

Need one urgent advice. My H1B visa and i-94 has already expired and my organization has filed for an extension but am still waiting for acknowledgement receipt. It has been only a week since my visa/i-94 is expired.

However I need to return back to India this weekend due to some personal emergency.

My questions are;

I don't think you will be questioned when you are leaving the country.

2. Is there any specific airline which I should prefer or avoid due to transit visa requirements.

I dint quite understand your question.

If your company lawyer has received any form of email receipt, pls take printouts. Make arrangements such that your company mails you the I-797 to India. You will need that to return to USA. Also, you need to go for stamping in India, given that your visa stamp has expired.

Thanks in advance

Narinder

=> They would just take your I94. Expired I94s are logged with the passport details (if they take your passport details too).

=> Transit visa of which country? Call airlines.

=> Because you are leaving the USA when your H1b is filed, your H1b may be approved by not the extension. This will result in approved I797 but with no I94. You should get new I94 using new I97 at POE.

Hi All,

My questions are;

NO

As a transit traveler you do not need a visa, but you have to stay in the transit area and do not clear customs.

3. Any other precautions/steps I should take to avoid any hassles

check with the airline for any questions you have before your travel date.

Thanks in advance

Narinder

Archived