Urgent..Please Help! Can I go for a renewal in Mexico??

hemanth810

Hello All,

I got my first H1B visa stamp in Matamoros, Mexico. Can I go for a renewal to Mexico. Do we have to get atleast one Visa stamp from India? I already scheduled my appointment on 21st of May at Tijuana. I have to cancel the appointment and all the reservations if I am not allowed for the renewal.

Thanks in advance,

for_quill.

@srav4visa: I didnt have my first stamp for H1B in India. I went to Mexico in 2008. However I had my F1 Visa stamped from Chennai, India in 2006. Does this help? I would be glad if you can provide any links or documentation " You can go for stamping to mexico if you had done your first stamping in India."

Hi,

You can go for stamping to mexico if you had done your first stamping in India.

Please let me know if you need further information.

• 3 months later...

I am in a similar situation as you are. I had my F1 stamp in 2001 in India. And then I had 3 different H1B stampings (2004, 2006 and 2009 all in Tijuana mexico). I plan to go for my 4rth (hopefully last) H1b stamping next week. I am guessing it should be ok. The rule as I interpret it is, your first H1b stamp or when you change from F1 to H1b, you have to go to your home country to get the h1b stamp. For renewal, you can go to mexico/canada or any other qualified consulate.

Since this rule was not in effect in 2004 when I got my first h1b, I could go to tijuana for stamping.

Anyone knows, since when this rule is in effect?

@srav4visa: I didnt have my first stamp for H1B in India. I went to Mexico in 2008. However I had my F1 Visa stamped from Chennai, India in 2006. Does this help? I would be glad if you can provide any links or documentation " You can go for stamping to mexico if you had done your first stamping in India."

Archived