Spouse in 28th week of pregnancy traveling to US

kasth123

Hi,

My wife and I were issued H4 and H1-B visa respectively in India recently and we will be traveling to New Jersey in a few weeks. By then, my wife will be in the 28th week of pregnancy (her expected due date is approximately 85 days from the date of travel).

I read in many places that airlines need a medical certificate from a doctor after 27 weeks of pregnancy and they generally allow pregnant woman to travel until 32-36 weeks. My wife is going to get fitness certificate from the doctor and will travel only if the doctor advises her to do so.

1. Is there a law in the U.S which prevents a pregnant woman who is in her 3rd trimester to come to the U.S? Will there be any issue at the port of entry? Can someone be deported for this reason? (this is my biggest fear!!) I am working for a large IT company and have all the required documents including proof of medical insurance. My employer will provide medical insurance for both of us. Also, I studied and lived in the US for 3.5 years.

2. How difficult is to find a doctor and continue the consultation from the 3rd trimester in the U.S?

Please help by responding to these questions. Thanks.

2. How difficult is to find a doctor and continue the consultation from the 3rd trimester in the U.S?

- Its not difficult to find a doctor in US. However, the important thing is, you need to get insurance immediately once you land in US otherwise you'll get huge medical bills you never ever wanted to see. And yes HUGE means VERY HUGE Bill.

There are multiple issues involved here.

Airlines set their own requirements. They can deny boarding on account of health risk. So getting a Doctor's letter is advisable.

Immigration can deny entry to non-immigrant intent Visitors (B1/B2,F1 etc.) if they are very visibly pregnant to curb Birth Tourism. But no problem for H4 Visa there as it allows immigrant intent.

Doctors can refuse to see your wife if they think that previous treatment is suspect. However, that will not be a big problem. Check if your employer's insurance covers pre-existing pregnancy. Delivery costs without insurance could be very high and some insurance policies have pre-existing clauses and waiting periods.

Airlines set their own requirements. They can deny boarding on account of health risk. So getting a Doctor's letter is advisable.

Immigration can deny entry to non-immigrant intent Visitors (B1/B2,F1 etc.) if they are very visibly pregnant to curb Birth Tourism. But no problem for H4 Visa there as it allows immigrant intent.

Doctors can refuse to see your wife if they think that previous treatment is suspect. However, that will not be a big problem. Check if your employer's insurance covers pre-existing pregnancy. Delivery costs without insurance could be very high and some insurance policies have pre-existing clauses and waiting periods.

Very detailed and informative post. Thanks livliv.

Congrats to both of you! Here are the answers to your questions:

. Is there a law in the U.S which prevents a pregnant woman who is in her 3rd trimester to co......

Dont worry there are no such laws for H-4, J-2 visa holders as one of my friend's wife came here in her last trimester, there was no problem at all but make sure you have all the required documents. Also for safety sake call the airlines if there is any special requirements but entry is 100% allowed. Also keep you offer letter/ documents handy which states your benefits and insurance coverage.

How difficult is to find a doctor and continue the consultation from the 3rd trimester in the U.S?

If you are taking insurance from employee then insurance companies do not ask for any pre-existing conditions (only exceptions are physiological problems and STDs). But if your employeer is not giving u insurance then it would be difficult to get the genuine insurance, do not fall under any crooked insurance plans which are big scams here . So my suggestion is to register for insurance through your employee ONLY ASAP !! Also dont worry at all, trust me at the end of the day everything is possible here so keep your calm and enjoy your trip and worry about your diaper duties :D ... things which you are worring about is not worth worrying :)

The H visas allow for dual intent and frankly all H (and L) nonimmigrant are presumed to have immigrant intent even if they don't (and if you ever one that doesn't it may be the first). Preganacy will not be a factor for CBP at time of application for admissionm.

The H visas allow for dual intent and frankly all H (and L) nonimmigrant are presumed to have immigrant intent even if they don't (and if you ever one that doesn't it may be the first).

I know lots of people who were on H1 and returned to their home countries.

It is more common than you may think.

Archived