H1-B transfer to new employer with I-140 Receipt Number

awaitinggc

Here is my situation

I have I-140 approved and I have my A-Number as well as I-140 receipt number. Though my employer is not ready to share I-797 Approval Notice for I-140. They say that it is against company policy to share this information.

Now my question here is that

1. If I want to port my Priority Date to new employer, what all documents would be sufficient for porting? Would A-Number and I-140 Receipt number be sufficient? I do not have any documentary proof of the same.

2. As I am closing towards 6 years of H1-B validity, would I get new H1-B after transfer valid till end of 6 years or would it be for another 3 years based on approved I-140 ?

3. My I-140 has been approved last week. Do I have to meet I-140 validity criteria of 180 day before transferring H1-B, so I could port my Priority Date based on approved I-140?

I do not have I-797 approval notice for approved I-140. So I need to know my options here. Any help would be appreciated.

140 number should be sufficient. If it was only approved last week and if you are already closing to end of sixth year, I would think that having the H1b extended first before jumping ship could be a better option. This is because if you switch, you still need to get your PERM and 140 re-done before you can extend. if you are on sixth year, lead time to PERM and PERM process itself can push you to the edge.

Thanks YankeeDoodle, this was helpful. Based on what I understand is receipt number should be sufficient.

Can you answer if there is any 180 days criteria for I-140 portability. Also what documents do you need to port I-140 to new employer?

Thanks

140 number should be sufficient. If it was only approved last week and if you are already closing to end of sixth year, I would think that having the H1b extended first before jumping ship could be a better option. This is because if you switch, you still need to get your PERM and 140 re-done before you can extend. if you are on sixth year, lead time to PERM and PERM process itself can push you to the edge.

Archived