H1 Cap Reset One Year Gap Outside US

ramesh789

Hi,

What are the conditions apply for h1 cap (6 yrs) reset to Zero after one year stay outside US?

Here is my situation,

- I am in 7th year, Applied for GC in 2007 with Labor substitution, I-40 is in appeal for more than 2 yrs, so I was continuing on H1-B only.

- My current H1-B petition valid till May'12 end.

- Came to India on Vacation in Nov'2011, went for stamping in hyd, first AAO, after few days petition returned to USCIS for review, status changed to post-decision, more than 3 months with USCIS, no update yet.

- Client agreed to work from India till I get my visa.

- My employer running payroll in US.

Here my question is (consider that US payroll is still running), now it almost 6 months by now in India. If I stay for 6 more months in India, then I would be completing one year in India. Does my h1 cap reset to 0 (one year outside US) after 6 months? Does stay only considered for reset or payroll also will pay role in reset? Can I apply for new H1 from new employer now or after 6 months?

Please do let me know your comments best of your knowledge. Let me know if you need more information.

Thanks,

Ramesh

JoeF,

Need your advice here.

I spent a year outside US because I was on 221g, came back to the US with the understanding that I will get a new 6 year H1B when we apply next.

Since I have to go under the cap, there won't be any new visas until October, 2012. My company wanted me to move to another state. Can I file only an LCA now and then an H1B later near October to get my new 6 years?

In addition if my job description has changed due to a promotion does that mean that I have to file an amendment instead of an LCA NOW (since I am moving) and I lose the opportunity to claim a new 6 year term because I have to work between now and October.

Please help me here. My current H1B expires May 2012 and my lawyer is talking about only reclaiming the one year I was outside US. I however, want to get all the 6 years.

Hmm, did you come back on H1?

If so, then the time abroad has not reset things.

You can recapture the time abroad, but you won't be able to get a new H1, since you came back with the old H1.

The rule is this: After a year abroad, you can come back with a new H1 under the quota, getting the full 6 years, or you can come back with the existing H1 and get only the remaining time.

JoeF,

Thanks for the reply. I would like to make sure this applies whether I am on US payroll or not. As I said in my mail thread, that currently I am on US payroll (my employer is stil running payroll coz I am still on client project but from India). If I understand correctly, only physical stay does matter. Please confirm.

Archived