SSN required for applying license for Spouse on EAD?

Ravi121

My wife is on H4 and also have a approved EAD, I just called the DMV to check if she can apply for learners permit when on EAD but as per them if she wants to use EAD to apply for learners permit then she needs a SSN but if she intends to use H4 then I would need a employer's letter with her name on it that she is my wife.

Is it necessary to have SSN to apply for Learners permit when on EAD?

Just for applying learners permit i dont think you really need to look in to applying for SSN and EAD. You can always get your drivers license from your wife's I-797 (H4 status). As far as i know, in virginia H4 dependants can get drivers license with thier passport as primary and secondary document and utility bill as the address proof. Not sure about other states. Check with the main DMV office of your state. My local DMV didnt know any knowledge about driver license issuing to H4 dependants. Then when i enquired with the main DMV they sent me a letter about eligibility for H4 which were very simple. And with that letter and above documents my wife got drivers license.

But does she need to have SSN to apply for license? Can't she just use H4 option instead?

She needs the SSN for the DL. There is no "H4 option." That's just a letter that the social security office gives to people who are not eligible for an SSN. But she is eligible.

Hello Ravi121, You have 2 options,

1) Go to SS office and show your wife H4 status and ask the letter like she is not eligible for SSN (Gives you right away). And show that letter at SOS, apply for DL.

OR

2) Go to SS office and show your wife EAD, apply for SSN. Once you have received the SSN, then apply for DL.

2nd option takes some weeks, once your wife gets the DL, then if you want you can apply for her SSN.

Archived