L1B to H1B change of status

bala1983

Hi ,

I m currently on L1B working in US. L1 is valid till 5th Nov 2012. My current employer is applying for H1B for me. I have few queries :

1. Since It is named as change of status application, Will my new H1B petetion effective from october 1st or the day I get it?

2. If I have to travel to India in June, is it safe to travel? I mean in terms of any issue while coming back to US in July first week, since L1b will have 4 months of validity left.

3. How long it is suggested to work on new petition before travelling to India.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Hi ,

I m currently on L1B working in US. L1 is valid till 5th Nov 2012. My current employer is applying for H1B for me. I have few queries :

1. Since It is named as change of status application, Will my new H1B petetion effective from october 1st or the day I get it?

Oct 1

2. If I have to travel to India in June, is it safe to travel? I mean in terms of any issue while coming back to US in July first week, since L1b will have 4 months of validity left.

That is not recommended. It is a matter of confusion whether previously approved or pending change of status remains valid or not after travel. If you have to travel it is better to apply for H1 Visa while abroad (after petition approval) and return in H1 status on or after Oct 1.

3. How long it is suggested to work on new petition before travelling to India.

There is no such thing. You can travel anytime.

Thanks in advance for your response.

See above.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I have question related to same topic L1 to H1B change of status. I had one H1B valid from 2006-2009. I went back in india at 2007 and then stayed in India for 1 year later I resigned my company and join other company they filed my L1 and I traveled on L1B in Jan 2012. In April 2012 one more company in US applied for my H1B using my old H1B and with current status of L1B. New H1B was approved with notice date April 9, 2012 and I got new I-94 with petition. Though I was on india payroll during my stay with old company on L1b. I joined new company on 30 April, 2012.

Will there be any issue of stamping with my new H1b status?

Archived