Immigration Questons at Port of Entry using EAD/AP Card

pathan

Hello Friends,

I got my EAD/AP card and right now I am in India. I will be come back to US day after tomorrow using AP. I have valid H1b till Feb-2013 but stamp was expired. I will not go for H1b stamping. I will use EAD/AP card to come back to US. Do you know what type of questions immigration officer ask at port of Entry in JFK airport, New York? Can you please give me the list of Questions which ask to EAD/AP holder at port of Entry?

Thanks

I was in the same situation and came back from India last week using the EAD/AP combo card (Chicago,Port of Entry). I was apprehensive about what questions they would ask me and had all the documentation that shows my 485 is pending. I had the receipt notices from USCIS for me and my wife to show that our 485's are pending.

But i was very pleasently surprised at the immigration counter. There was just one question as she was doing the stamping. She just asked me who was sponsering my petition and i told my company's name and thats it. I was out of the immigration booth in less than two minutes.

Good Luck to you.

I have entered in JFK, Logan and couple of times in VT border (entering from Canada). Show them your passport and AP (keep your i485 receipt with you - they normally do not ask you, but have that in your "backpocket"). Once the main official validates your passport s/he will send you for secondary inspection. There they will stamp your AP and give it back to you. I have never been asked any question, its fairly standard process. The only thing I would tell you that is unpredictable is the time it takes to pass through secondary inspection. There is no pattern, I have been let go in 5 mins and also after 2 hours! You just cannot control what happens in secondary inspection.

Can Seniour member reply my question?

Thanks

I have never entered on AP (neither has Joe, since he did CP). None of the people I personally know shared their experience with me. Thus, I have nothing to add to this dicussion. Just thankful that there are people willing to share their experience with you

Hello Friends,

I got my EAD/AP card and right now I am in India. I will be come back to US day after tomorrow using AP. I have valid H1b till Feb-2013 but stamp was expired. I will not go for H1b stamping. I will use EAD/AP card to come back to US. Do you know what type of questions immigration officer ask at port of Entry in JFK airport, New York? Can you please give me the list of Questions which ask to EAD/AP holder at port of Entry?

Thanks

I used AP pending 485 status during Jan 2012 at Los Angeles, I was asked for secondary review and it took almost 2 hours of pain. The security officers in secondary inspection areas were not allowing us to go out of room and were not allowing to use cell phones as if we were detainees. It first scared me as if they have deportation in their mind for us but when it was our turn they just asked about who was our AOS sponsor; thats all and that took us 2 hrs of wait time. I want to know if it is random or it is mandatory for everyone. I used AP 4 years back when I went to Canada, but I don't recall if I was put for secondary review; any thoughts?

• 1 month later...

The oher docment. That is in approx an A4 size paper, with your photo on it. You typically get two copies of it and you hand them both the documents. They will attest that and your I94 and give it back to you. They will enter a date in that form (and I 94) that is a year after the day you enter, but that has no significance (meaning it does not mean that you are "out of status" after that date).

I have never entered on AP (neither has Joe, since he did CP). None of the people I personally know shared their experience with me. Thus, I have nothing to add to this dicussion. Just thankful that there are people willing to share their experience with you

A friend of mine was always sent to secondary inspection. It never took very long, from what he told me. But then, his case was NIW, i.e., self-sponsored, no employer needed. So, there wasn't much to check.

Archived