L1-B expired I-94 VALID.Working on H1

SG81

These days we have so many L1 B rejections.I didnot file L1B extension. Also I was planning for H1B when L1B was getting expired.I didnot want to mess my H1B with L1-B.Also could you elaborate what do you mean to say "Yes you can continue to work on H1b from the moment COS is filed.".As per my understanding one can work on H1b only when the H1B petition gets approved.I am confused now.Pls explain

These days we have so many L1 B rejections.I didnot file L1B extension. Also I was planning for H1B when L1B was getting expired.I didnot want to mess my H1B with L1-B.Also could you elaborate what do you mean to say "Yes you can continue to work on H1b from the moment COS is filed.".As per my understanding one can work on H1b only when the H1B petition gets approved.I am confused now.Pls explain

Your understanding is correct. Until, H1 petition gets approved with change of status you cannot join the H1 employer. After H1 gets approved with change of status you must join the H1 employer. There is no need to depart the US as long as your L1 I-94 is valid and you are working for the L1 employer to maintain L1 status. If change of status to H1 is approved, that becomes your latest I-94 and you need not depart the US until the latest I-94 expires as long as you are maintaining the corresponding status.

Archived