Currently on OPT. H1 transfer (change of employer) before Oct 1 2012?

Immihelp15

Hi,

I am currently on OPT stem extension which is due in July 2012. My current employer A will be filing my H1 in 1st week of April under premium processing (General Q as I have done my bachelors here). I have a full time offer from the client I am currently working at (as a consultant). They do not intend to sponser my H1 but can do a transfer. Its a good opportunity and I dont want to lose it.

I read in many forums that the start date for H1 B can not be before Oct 1st. Say if I get my H1 approved by May, can my new employer apply for H1 transfer in mid May or June with the approval (i 797) or do I need to wait till Oct and then have the H1 transferred? If later, can the client begin the process of transfer before October so I can start working for them from Oct 1st onwards?

Thanks a lot!

Kshama

What do you mean by due?Is your OPT expiring in July?

If your OPT is expiring in July and filing for H1b in regular quota,which will not be effective till Oct 1st 2012.

You will be out of status between July and Oct.And sponsoring a H1b is same as transferring a H1, so i do not understand when you say the client is ready for transfer but not sponsor you.And they cannot do a transfer on h1b which is not effective.

Hi,

I am currently on OPT stem extension which is due in July 2012. My current employer A will be filing my H1 in 1st week of April under premium processing (General Q as I have done my bachelors here). I have a full time offer from the client I am currently working at (as a consultant). They do not intend to sponser my H1 but can do a transfer.

Hmm, an H1 transfer is a new H1 application.

So, this whole "we don't do an H1, but do an H1 transfer" does make exactly zero sense.

They should contact an immigration lawyer since they obviously have not much knowledge about the H1.

Archived