Urgent : Insurance for H4 Wife

USADreams

Get a letter from the social security administration that she doesn't qualify for an SSN.

You also may want to write to the insurance commissioner in your state. They are public officials working for the consumer to handle insurance disputes.

I would talk to your employer's HR department, specifically the person who administers the health insurance program. I question the validity of the insurance company's policy / position with respect to needing a social insurance number.

I have worked for 3 difference employers in the U.S. with several different health insurance companies, and never had a problem with dependent coverage for my wife and kids who have been on TD, and are now H-4 visas (and thus do not have social insurance numbers). Even my son who just turned 21 and is now on a F-1 visa so he can complete his degree is covered as a dependent under my employer’s health insurance.

Get a letter from the social security administration that she doesn't qualify for an SSN.

Good point. My wife and kids needed to get that letter to get their drivers licenses. It is a standard SSA letter. When we went to get the letter we didn't even need to wait in line (the information person in the SSA office had them ready to give out).

Archived