Marriage after receiving Green Card

Hello Folks,

So this one is kind of really confusing and I was hoping you guys can help me with it. Here is my situation:

1. Received Green Card (Employment Based EB2) in November, 2011

2. Planning to get married to Non US Resident in June, 2012

I have looked at the Visa Bulletin and based on the limited understanding I have developed of these matters in the past few years, it looks like my case would fall under the F2A category, which is currently processing cases from July 2009.

I am reading that as, after my marriage in June, 2012 it could be THREE YEARS or MORE before my spouse can get here to be with me?? Is that real? Are there any other options for me (besides H1 and F1, she doesn't qualify for both).

I have been reading/hearing rumors about the situation having changed and now spouses sponsored by GC holders can enter US within a matter of months etc. Are any of these true??( God, I hope they are!!!). If not then do I have any options at all?

PLEASE HELP!!!

Hello Folks,

So this one is kind of really confusing and I was hoping you guys can help me with it. Here is my situation:

I have looked at the Visa Bulletin and based on the limited understanding I have developed of these matters in the past few years, it looks like my case would fall under the F2A category, which is currently processing cases from July 2009.

I am reading that as, after my marriage in June, 2012 it could be THREE YEARS or MORE before my spouse can get here to be with me?? Is that real?

Yes, that is the correct reading (as bad as it is.)

Now, the F2A PD has fluctuated quite a bit down to just 6 months (and then unfortunately back to 3 years...)

Are there any other options for me (besides H1 and F1, she doesn't qualify for both).

H1 and L1 are pretty much the only options, if she qualifies, because H1 and L1 allow immigration intent.

The only other option would be to wait with marriage until you are a US citizen. There is no quota for spouses of US citizens.

I have been reading/hearing rumors about the situation having changed and now spouses sponsored by GC holders can enter US within a matter of months etc. Are any of these true??

Unlikely. Don't listen to rumors.

Years back, there was the V visa to get relief for spouses of Permanent Residents, but that has long expired and it doesn't look like it would get reanimated.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Folks,

I am reading that as, after my marriage in June, 2012 it could be THREE YEARS or MORE before my spouse can get here to be with me?? Is that real? Are there any other options for me (besides H1 and F1, she doesn't qualify for both).

I have been reading/hearing rumors about the situation having changed and now spouses sponsored by GC holders can enter US within a matter of months etc. Are any of these true??( God, I hope they are!!!). If not then do I have any options at all?

PLEASE HELP!!!

I am in same boat with you Faraaz.

My lawyer suggested the same thing which JoeF has explained here.........

I really hate this part, as when u r a permanent resident your spouse have to wait more than 3 years to enter in US....while for US non-immigrants......thats not the case...........

aaaaggghhhhhhhhhhhhh.............

I am in same boat with you Faraaz.

My lawyer suggested the same thing which JoeF has explained here.........

I really hate this part, as when u r a permanent resident your spouse have to wait more than 3 years to enter in US....while for US non-immigrants......thats not the case...........

aaaaggghhhhhhhhhhhhh.............

Yes, it is pretty much the worst possible situation.

There have been some bills introduced in the past to remedy this situation, but none successful.

There is an organization called UniteFamilies that apparently tries to raise awareness of the issue. You may want to contact them (just search Google for "UniteFamilies").

Yes, it is pretty much the worst possible situation.

There have been some bills introduced in the past to remedy this situation, but none successful.

There is an organization called UniteFamilies that apparently tries to raise awareness of the issue. You may want to contact them (just search Google for "UniteFamilies").

Thanks Joe.....for the info

The organization "UniteFamilies" is informative......but at the same time , we just can hope for the ammendent in law....

Basically , right now we are tied to hope...rather than action :)

Thanks again............

Archived