Can H1B work for ***** as an IBO?

amrutha.psr@gmail.com

Alot of H-1Bs and L-1s do it. I personally know people who have gotten their GC while doing the business, problem arises during 3rd step of GC I-485 IF USCIS ask for your taxes (not just your w-2s), which is a maybe. Immigration matters are complex, after arguments with ibos/ex-ibos, I found out that is a grey area as for passive investments any where you get 1099 Misc, thats exactly what people get at amway, so it depends on lawyers and interpretation.

Alot of H-1Bs and L-1s do it.

It is not allowed. These people would be out of status, i.e., illegal.

I found out that is a grey area as for passive investments any where you get 1099 Misc, thats exactly what people get at amway, so it depends on lawyers and interpretation.

It is not a gray area. A 1099 Misc is for working as a contractor, in this case being self-employed. That is simply not allowed on H1 nor L1. No but or if. No gray area at all.

Again, doing this kind of work is not allowed on H1, H4 or L1.

• 3 weeks later...

Guys,

It doesnt matter whether its Amway or starting your own traditional business. As long as you are reporting your income to IRS and you are not running a payroll or part of other's payroll, Its perfectly legal. I myself in H1B(I-140 approved) and having an online business and registered this business in the state of Oregon (http://***********.com) for last 2 years. I already checked with my tax consultant and my immigration lawyer. The best way to check is call or check with Amway corporation or Immigration lawyer. I see ppl are guessing on their on way without having the facts.

You even get 1099 forms when you have savings account and get some interest from bank, does that make you illegal? Think about it.

Regards,

Karthik

Guys,

It doesnt matter whether its Amway or starting your own traditional business. As long as you are reporting your income to IRS and you are not running a payroll or part of other's payroll, Its perfectly legal.

No, it is not!

Have you read the link I provided earlier?

http://www.murthy.com/news/n_hombus.html

On H1, you can only work for your employer. You can not work for anybody else, you can not work for your own business.

I myself in H1B(I-140 approved) and having an online business and registered this business in the state of Oregon (http://***********.com) for last 2 years. I already checked with my tax consultant and my immigration lawyer.

You can register a business, anybody can. But you can not work for it, not even for free. You can essentially only be a passive investor.

I see ppl are guessing on their on way without having the facts.
W

hat part of this link http://www.murthy.com/news/n_hombus.html don't you understand???

The fact is that somebody on H1 can only work for his or her employer, and not work for anybody else.

The fact also is that somebody on H4 can not work at all, not for Amway, nor anything else. Period.

You even get 1099 forms when you have savings account and get some interest from bank, does that make you illegal? Think about it.

Sigh. That are different 1099 forms, 1099INV. If you work self-employed, you'd get 1099MISC.

Please educate yourself before posting wrong and dangerous information. Thank you.

Sigh. That are different 1099 forms, 1099INV.

A small typo correction: The 1099 from banks is the 1099INT. It is ok for somebody on H1 to get that.

The 1099 from working as contractor, or AMWAY, etc. is the 1099MISC, which is not ok for somebody on H1.

I would advise you against Amway even if you were legally allowed to do it. It is very hard to earn anything above what you initially invest (some good 2-3K) and most Amway folks are shunned by others because they keep trying to enroll you or sell you stuff.

Yes. Aside from the fact that doing MLM like Amway on H1 is illegal, it is a money-losing scheme for 99% of the people doing it, and it also a sure way to lose all your friends...

somebody mentioned that others got gc even though they were doing amway..

like all other isuses recenlty, USCIS will catchup with H1-amway folks sooner or later...just hope that it doesn't start with u..

Just like the funny articles on desi consultants, there have been articles on "amway/quickstar desis at walmart.." google it up..

I had to shut doors on couple of my freinds who were caught in this MLM trap and became a nuisance...it's like a cult and almost impossible to snap them out of it..

JoeF, thanks for the link.

I was an active Amway IBO for a year (many years back). My income from the business wasnt more than $600. Hence I never received the 1099 form. I have been told that is legal. But I am surprised to see the link you posted.

Amway surely has some amazing products: Health, Beauty, Home products. Which are very cost effective.

My question is: Is it okay(legal) to register to the business and use their products but not make money out of it (atleast not significant enough to get a 1099)?

JoeF, thanks for the link.

I was an active Amway IBO for a year (many years back). My income from the business wasnt more than $600. Hence I never received the 1099 form. I have been told that is legal. But I am surprised to see the link you posted.

Amway surely has some amazing products: Health, Beauty, Home products. Which are very cost effective.

My question is: Is it okay(legal) to register to the business and use their products but not make money out of it (atleast not significant enough to get a 1099)?

Anybody can register a business.

But, a business has to do administrative things, including filing taxes. That is work, and is not allowed on H1. So, that's where this would fail.

On H1, a person can basically only be a passive investor, putting money into a business and otherwise stay out of it.

Any active involvement in the business, be it buying, selling, depositing checks, writing checks, signing contracts, filing taxes, etc. etc. etc. is not allowed on H1.

• 1 year later...

Guys

You can Absolutely do Amway Biz in H1 Visa Status...H1 Visa status recommends that you should be employed by only ONE employer!!

Here if you do biz with Amway , you are not Employed by AMWAY, You do biz with them,it is just like you do biz with BOA , Chase etc..you refer people to open accounts with BOA ,Chase etc you get some 25$ to 100$ as referal bonus..same with Amway Biz there is Genuine referring and Genuine Sale..

For additional information you can always call Amway Customer Service.

Most of the ppl who say that you are not supposed to work with Amway , may be they have limited information or Bad expierence with ppl who introduced Amway biz to them!!!

Please dont jump into conclusions.

Have great year ahead 2014!!!

Cheers!!

Guys

You can Absolutely do Amway Biz in H1 Visa Status...H1 Visa status recommends that you should be employed by only ONE employer!!

Here if you do biz with Amway , you are not Employed by AMWAY, You do biz with them,it is just like you do biz with BOA , Chase etc..you refer people to open accounts with BOA ,Chase etc you get some 25$ to 100$ as referal bonus..same with Amway Biz there is Genuine referring and Genuine Sale..

For additional information you can always call Amway Customer Service.

Most of the ppl who say that you are not supposed to work with Amway , may be they have limited information or Bad expierence with ppl who introduced Amway biz to them!!!

Please dont jump into conclusions.

Have great year ahead 2014!!!

Cheers!!

You are WRONG!

On H1, you can ONLY work for your employer. You can NOT work for another employer, and you can ALSO NOT be self-employed!

What you call "doing biz" is NOT allowed on H1. Period!

It is YOU who is clueless here.

This Amway stuff is ILLEGAL on H1!

That is the LAW!

• 1 month later...

I recently join *****. Can you please provide any writing legal document related 

Why H1B visa people can't do *****?  Do you have something in writing?

Because i refered 10 people to Wachovia/Wells fargo bank. They gave me per person $50.

End of the year they send me 1099. I filed W2 and 1099  

Archived