Jump to content
All posts are moderated, so it will take time for your post to appear!
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  

2011 Tax filing: Part year on OPT, peart year on H-1B

Recommended Posts


I had a question related to taxes.

I was on OPT until Feb 10, 2011. After which I had a status change to H-1B (from Feb 10, 2011). I got a H-1B visa stamp on my passport on Nov 22, 2011.

I entered the US on a F-1 visa in Dec 2007 and I was a resident of India at that time. Can I use the tax benefit of the Standard Deduction on Line 11 of the Form 1040NR-EZ to reduce my taxable income?

What about Personal Exemption?

Do I still need to fill out form 8843?

To sum up, my 2011 visa status:

F-1 visa (OPT): Jan -Feb 10

H-1B status change- Feb 10 onwards

H1-B visa stamp - Nov 22, 2011

Thanks in advance for your help.

Share this post

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this