Reg: Travel restrictions during H1B I-94 extension

anamika2011

Hi All

My H1-B visa is going to expire in 15th March 2012. I have applied for I-94 extension and the same is pending USCIS approval. I would like to know the following points regarding travel restrictions:

- For the period when my extension approval is pending, is there any restriction on travelling to any state within USA and to Alaska, Hawaii and Bahamas? I understand that I cannot travel outside USA for this period.

- After the I-94 extension is approved, is there any restriction on travelling to any state within USA? Also since I will have the I-94 extension paper and my previous H1B visa would still be expired, will I be able to travel to places outside the USA mainland i.e. Alaska, Bahamas and Hawaii? I have heard that if the plane/ cruise touches Canada/ any other country during transit to these places outside US mainland, then I-94 extension is not enough and valid H1B visa is required. Is it true?

Any pointers to these will be very helpful.

Thanks

Anamika

Hi

Thanks a lot for the reply!

Have another query:

After my I-94 extension is approved, if I go to India for a short trip or vacation, I understand that I cannot re-enter USA without a new H1B visa stamping. So, I need to apply for H1B visa from India. My question is that what is the process to be followed when applying for H1b stamping in this case?

Do I need to repeat the entire process like fresh H1b application i.e. applying for a fresh petition etc? Or I can directly go for interview and stamping at US consulate with my I-94 extension documents? Pls advise.

Thanks

Anamika

• 4 years later...

Hi,

I am planning for a family trip to Bahamas in the month of May. I am currently in US on H1B visa which is expiring in July.

I have 2 queries:

1. Do I need to apply for Bahama's Visa even if I am going for a holiday cruise of 4 days? (I believe that is Transit Visa)

2. During my return from Bahamas to US, will there be any issue at the port of entry since I have come to know that it is not advisable to travel outside US in case there is less than 6 months left for H1 visa expiry.

Archived