Laid off / Can I travel?

Dr. Z

Hello Everyone

I have often visited this forum and found it very helpful. Today, I am posting seeking some advice.

I was recently laid off at my firm, a large company based in New York. The lay off was under the WARN Act of New York and accordingly I have a 90 day notice period. My employment termination date is in mid-April. I will be receiving regular paychecks / stubs until mid-April. I am on an H1-b visa and my 6th year ends in early 2013.

During this 90 day notice period, I want to take a few weeks off and travel outside the United States, perhaps during February or March. I don't know at what point will my firm notify the CIS (or if it has already done so).

So, in this case, given that I will be employed through mid-April, will I be able to re-enter the U.S. if I go away in February or March?

Will appreciate any responses.

Ideally your employer will notify USCIS on or after your termination date stating your employment was terminated effective "X" Date.

If you are going to be employed i.e. working and getting paid with your firm till mid April then you can travel outside....

Also, you will be out of status effective your termination date, so you will need to find a new employer or change your status to another one.

Check with your employer when do they plan to revoke the petition and things like that before you plan to travel.

Archived