Urgent-Is I-94 extension (after passport renewal) happening at Tijuana-Mexico OR Stopped !!!

Hello All.

Thanks for all your inputs. In my case, it is not me but my wife's I-94 is expiring on L2. I am hoping that we can do the same by visiting the border near San Diego. Is flying to Cancun also fine.

Also she doesn't have driver's license. I was thinking I will carry my visa documents and paystubs, lease documents which states her name and of course her old and new passports.

Please provide advice.

Also any body planning Tijuana border in July?

Thanks.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello All.

Thanks for all your inputs. In my case, it is not me but my wife's I-94 is expiring on L2. I am hoping that we can do the same by visiting the border near San Diego. Is flying to Cancun also fine.

Also she doesn't have driver's license. I was thinking I will carry my visa documents and paystubs, lease documents which states her name and of course her old and new passports.

Please provide advice.

Thanks.

flying to Cancun also works I think. You can also try Jamaica, one of my friend's friend visited Jamaica for this purpose.

I am planning to visit for this purpose in August. But place is not decided yet, it will be either Jamaica or San Diego. Please suggest if anyone has got any best option.

Regards

Ravi

flying to Cancun also works I think. You can also try Jamaica, one of my friend's friend visited Jamaica for this purpose.

I am planning to visit for this purpose in August. But place is not decided yet, it will be either Jamaica or San Diego. Please suggest if anyone has got any best option.

Regards

Ravi

My i94 expires in 2 weeks, i am thinking to fly to cancun or san diego.

Hello All.

Please provide advice.

Thanks.

i am planning in june itself,not yet decided on location.

what are the working hours for the Tijuana? I am planning to go over July 4th long weekend.

Does any have any idea, is it legal to stay in USA if I-94 expires and h1b extension is in pending?

It is a border crossing and should be 24/7. 

Yes, it is legal to stay when extension is pending and I94 has expired.

I have been reading last couple of pages of posts. Thanks for everyone posting their experiences.

One question which remained unanswered was if we can get new I-94 by flying to Mexico too. Because I remember there is a rule that the same I-94 is used if visiting Mexico for less than 30 days.

Yes, you can. You need to have a valid H1B visa and I797 and ask at POE for new I94. AVR is a facility & not mandatory.

Hi guys,

I am Prem and in same situation. I don't drive and not having clue how it will happen. I read through the details posted but still very much worried about whole process. I have applied for tatkal passport renewal which will come next week. If anyone is driving or flying from San jose, I am willing to join in next week. It would be really great help.

Friends, Thanks to everyone for sharing their experience! 

I got my I94 extended very easily at San Diego- Mexico border. There is actually nothing to worry about. If you take all proper documents with you, the process becomes easier. After reaching border I crossed the border on foot. There are sign posts that show you the way. No questions asked - you can enter Mexico. I had looked up on Mexican government website to check if Indians needs VISA or not. It turns out that, If you have a valid US visa then you can enter Mexico for upto 180 days.  

Left my luggage back in the car, took documents in a folder while crossing the border. Some zig zag road/steps will land you across the border. As soon as you enter you can see the people standing in "Q" to enter US. There is separate line for getting i94. It says "documents ready"/ I 94 line. Its clearly stated. Stand in that line...do not stand in General public Q. When I went there, there were few people standing outside the gate. Unfortunately I reached at 3 PM and It seems they were on break till 4 PM so had to wait for an hour. After that they will user you in. Then you enter the gate and wait outside a small building. After some time they will ask you to come inside. 

After reaching inside you will have to pay USD 6 for getting I94. Pay first and then wait for your turn. I did the same the thing. Officer then called me, I told him - "Since my passport expired I was asked to renew my passport while entering US"  Officer- " That is correct" . Me - " I have renewed my passport and need a new I94" Office then looked at my documents and issued me a new I94. I also got a paper copy as a Bonus ..hehe.  Once you get i94 walk outside the go through the point of entry check posts. There I told officer that I was here to get new I94. He checked the I94 and let me enter. Plain and simple. 

Documents to carry - Residential proof, Driving license, Employment proof, I797, LCAs, Both passports (of course) , pay stubs, Officer wanted to see my employment start date. 

IMP- Politely ask officer if he can issue you a I94 till VISA end date. By default there they issue i94 for 6 months. Better to check with them. In cases such as ours they issue i94 till VISA end dates usually. 

Hi Dhanu,

you have mentioned that you parked your car and crossed the border.  Some zig zag road/steps will land you across the border is there only one route to cross the border and how will i come to know that i have crossed the border and should not go much inside so that i do not end up somewhere else.

I will travelling by Greyhound bus. Can you please tell me which address i need to go from there. 

Hi,

Is anyone travelling from San Jose or San Francisco bay area to San Diego/San Ysidro for updating I-94. I don't know driving and most of the folks in this forum are talking about going there by Car so i am a bit afraid of going alone and worried that i should not enter much inside the mexico to get into some other trouble. So i really need companion whom i can Join. 

I am ready to share the cost if driving by car.

If anyone is planning in July 1st week or 2nd week. Please let me know on ***************@gmail.com.

Thanks very much

Edited by MurthyAdmin
Members who wish to share their contact information may do so by updating their profile with the information they wish to share.

Yes, you can. You need to have a valid H1B visa and I797 and ask at POE for new I94. AVR is a facility & not mandatory.

If anybody is planning in the near future, please reply back. I am in StLouis and need to get my wife's I-94 (L2 visa) renewed. Also my friend last year did fly to Mexico for a day and returned back same day with I-94 renewed.

Thank you both for your replies. Even my company lawyer told me the same. He said both methods will work, provided, when entering back into the US, I ask for and get a new I-94 which has validity till I797 end date. I haven't made up my mind about making the trip yet.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello,

My i-94 has expired (because I traveled to India and upon re-entry, got a new i94 with an expiration date based on my passport's expiration date; the original i94 that came with my i-797 approval notice shows validity until 2016, but online i94 is expired). Based on posts in this forum, I am considering going to Tijuana border to renew it. However, I am wondering if someone knows what happens in the unfortunate scenario of CBP not issuing a new i-94 at the border. Are you expected to fly to your home country from Mexico? Or do they revoke your visa and let you fly out from San Diego?

Any advice will be helpful! Also, if anyone else is in similar situation and is planning to travel to Mexico/Canada, please contact me.

Hello,

My i-94 has expired (because I traveled to India and upon re-entry, got a new i94 with an expiration date based on my passport's expiration date; the original i94 that came with my i-797 approval notice shows validity until 2016, but online i94 is expired). Based on posts in this forum, I am considering going to Tijuana border to renew it. However, I am wondering if someone knows what happens in the unfortunate scenario of CBP not issuing a new i-94 at the border. Are you expected to fly to your home country from Mexico? Or do they revoke your visa and let you fly out from San Diego?

Any advice will be helpful! Also, if anyone else is in similar situation and is planning to travel to Mexico/Canada, please contact me.

You cannot enter US if CBP did not issue an I94. In that case you would have to fly out of Mexico.