Urgent-Is I-94 extension (after passport renewal) happening at Tijuana-Mexico OR Stopped !!!

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All,

Even i am in the same situation, planning to go San Diego/ Tijuana Border on May 9th , I am flying to sandiego Airport on that day. Let me know if any one intrested to come on the same day.Reply me if interested.

Hi Naveen

I am thinking of travelling to San Diego Border sometime next month, can you please provide your contact details or email so that we can discuss more on this, I am currently living in Fremont California

-Hari

Hi All,

I got my I94 extended yesterday April 25th at San Ysidro POE.  I am on L1A visa.

Flew to San Diego  airport and rented a car . As advised in some post i used jack in back parking.Parking Address: 721 E San Ysidro Blvd, San Diego, CA 92173.  Followed Pedestrian path to mexico . After crossing revolving door there were some stairs and after that i reached tijuana. here it was  a big line for people going to USA. Do not join them. Proceed towards I94/permit gate. unfortunately for me there was a line for I94 also. waited in line for almost an hour. Then officer called me inside and i paid $6 to cashier. Cashier asked for petition and work related paper. he given receipt for payment and I 94 card to me. after this i was with second officer and she asked for all related documents and she took around good 20 minutes in process and handed over updated paper I94. I also checked it online immediately and it was updated. After this i went to general public line and there were only three person ahead of me so i was done in 5 min there. Total time taken in process was less than 2 hours. Please try to go there early in morning to avoid lines. I went around 10 AM.

Please let me know if you guys have any question

This forum has very helpful,  crisp clear on the process which I followed on 26th April and completed in 60 minutes with new i-94 card. Documents to carry for L1A visa holders are: passport, i-129 (petition), empolyment verification letter, 3 paystubs latest, US govt issued id card. Best time is from 6:30 to 8 am. I am very thankful to Murthy forum for helping lot of guys.

Hi All,

I got my I94 extended yesterday April 25th at San Ysidro POE.  I am on L1A visa.

Flew to San Diego  airport and rented a car . As advised in some post i used jack in back parking.Parking Address: 721 E San Ysidro Blvd, San Diego, CA 92173.  Followed Pedestrian path to mexico . After crossing revolving door there were some stairs and after that i reached tijuana. here it was  a big line for people going to USA. Do not join them. Proceed towards I94/permit gate. unfortunately for me there was a line for I94 also. waited in line for almost an hour. Then officer called me inside and i paid $6 to cashier. Cashier asked for petition and work related paper. he given receipt for payment and I 94 card to me. after this i was with second officer and she asked for all related documents and she took around good 20 minutes in process and handed over updated paper I94. I also checked it online immediately and it was updated. After this i went to general public line and there were only three person ahead of me so i was done in 5 min there. Total time taken in process was less than 2 hours. Please try to go there early in morning to avoid lines. I went around 10 AM.

Please let me know if you guys have any question

Hi Vivek,

What Kind of work Related papers they asked you? Did they ask for any client  letter and Employer information?

Hi Naveen

I am thinking of travelling to San Diego Border sometime next month, can you please provide your contact details or email so that we can discuss more on this, I am currently living in Fremont California

-Hari

Hi Hari,

My email address is : ************@gmail.com reach me some time this week.

Edited by MurthyAdmin
Members who wish to share their contact information may do so by updating their profile with the information they wish to share.

Hi Vivek,

Can you provide lists of documents they have asked? I am also going there on 1st May.

Thanks,

Brijesh

Brijesh,

You need following papers:

1. Petition

2. Passport

3. Old I 94

4. Current USA address

5. Work related papers(i carried W2 and last three salary slip) as i could not employment verification letter in time.

- Vivek

This forum has very helpful,  crisp clear on the process which I followed on 26th April and completed in 60 minutes with new i-94 card. Documents to carry for L1A visa holders are: passport, i-129 (petition), empolyment verification letter, 3 paystubs latest, US govt issued id card. Best time is from 6:30 to 8 am. I am very thankful to Murthy forum for helping lot of guys.

Hi TPK,

Did they asked you I 129 and Labor documents?? Do you mean Petition I 797?? you mentioned it as i 129(Petition) ? 

Time to Payback..

I got my I94 extended on May 9th at San Ysidro/Tijuana POE.

As everyone suggested in this group followed the same steps: A Big thanks to all the guys who posted here.

Flew to San Diego  airport and Rented a car . USed JACK in the BOX back parking.

Parking Address: 721 E San Ysidro Blvd, San Diego, CA 92173. (I flew from east coast)

Documents asked for;

1.Two Passports

2. I 797

3.Driver License

Important points: There is no such Rule as 90 days before we can't extend or whatever because my I 94 is expiring in September 2015 but I renewed it in May so.

***Expect very big lines and wait times

**Explain your situation Firmly so that there wont be much questions and documentation needed.

Hi Guys,

My I 94 has expiry of 31st Aug 2015 (as my old passport was expiring) though I got valid visa till 11th Aug 2016. Please advise if I can go San Diego border and renew my I94 now. Whether I will not face any problem of coming early as my I 94 is still valid? 

If not, I am planning to go next weekend.

Thanks,

Anil

• 2 weeks later...

I stay in Atlanta, GA. And my I-94 is getting expired in September 2015. I have my new passport now and want to get my I-94 extended. I came to know from this forum that we can get it done at Mexico Boarder at San Ysidro. Is there any other way to get this done? As Atlanta is very far from San Ysidro.

And is there anyone planning visit San Ysidro especially from Atlanta so that I can join them.

Regards

Ravi

I stay in Atlanta, GA. And my I-94 is getting expired in September 2015. I have my new passport now and want to get my I-94 extended. I came to know from this forum that we can get it done at Mexico Boarder at San Ysidro. Is there any other way to get this done? As Atlanta is very far from San Ysidro.

And is there anyone planning visit San Ysidro especially from Atlanta so that I can join them.

Regards

Ravi

You need to cross the border. Either Canada or Mexico.

You need to cross the border. Either Canada or Mexico.

Is there any other ways. Both Mexico and Canada are far from Atlanta. And is VISA required for Canada? I came to know from this forum that VISA is not required for Mexico. Are there any other ways like visiting other countries near to Atlanta? like people are telling that we can also visit some islands near to east cost.

Regards

Ravi

Is there any other ways. Both Mexico and Canada are far from Atlanta. And is VISA required for Canada? I came to know from this forum that VISA is not required for Mexico. Are there any other ways like visiting other countries near to Atlanta? like people are telling that we can also visit some islands near to east cost.

Regards

Ravi

I think you know that CBP works 24/7 and that they have no weekends off. You cannot even fly on a weekend to get your I94 renewed? Canada requires a visitor visa. If you have a valid H1B visa then you can travel to Mexico. If those  regions are not part of US territory you can visit them and on return to US get new I94.

I think you know that CBP works 24/7 and that they have no weekends off. You cannot even fly on a weekend to get your I94 renewed? Canada requires a visitor visa. If you have a valid H1B visa then you can travel to Mexico. If those  regions are not part of US territory you can visit them and on return to US get new I94.

Thanks Jairichi for information. I think I have to travel to Mexico only as there are no non-US regions near to Atlanta, I will plan on one weekend in August.

Anyone else is there in the situation like and planning to Visit Mexico in July or August? especially from East Cost.

Regards

Ravi

Hi,

Thank you all for so much details and you experiences. I have a similar issue where my old passport is expiring on June 18, 2015 and I got my new passport just now on which I haven't travelled.

Moreover, I-94 I got while entry at US last January has date till expiry of my old passport. And similarly stamp of valid entry on old passport is also till that date. 

I came to know of following options to solve the problem from multiple different resouces (forums, USCIS San Francisco, our company lawyer):

1. File Form-129 for "extension of I-94" and submit it to USCIS office, even if you have I-129 mentioned on your I797B at its bottom. For this to get filed, lawyer might ask for fees too. (Suggested by USCIS official)
  2. Go back to home country and come back into US (Suggested by our company lawyer)
  3. Cross the border at San Diego and come back into US. (Suggested by different people in this forum).

I am going to try Suggestion 3, around this weekend and see how it goes. Let me know if someone wants to join. Thanks. :)

Friends, Thanks to everyone for sharing their experience! 

I got my I94 extended very easily at San Diego- Mexico border. There is actually nothing to worry about. If you take all proper documents with you, the process becomes easier. After reaching border I crossed the border on foot. There are sign posts that show you the way. No questions asked - you can enter Mexico. I had looked up on Mexican government website to check if Indians needs VISA or not. It turns out that, If you have a valid US visa then you can enter Mexico for upto 180 days.  

Left my luggage back in the car, took documents in a folder while crossing the border. Some zig zag road/steps will land you across the border. As soon as you enter you can see the people standing in "Q" to enter US. There is separate line for getting i94. It says "documents ready"/ I 94 line. Its clearly stated. Stand in that line...do not stand in General public Q. When I went there, there were few people standing outside the gate. Unfortunately I reached at 3 PM and It seems they were on break till 4 PM so had to wait for an hour. After that they will user you in. Then you enter the gate and wait outside a small building. After some time they will ask you to come inside. 

After reaching inside you will have to pay USD 6 for getting I94. Pay first and then wait for your turn. I did the same the thing. Officer then called me, I told him - "Since my passport expired I was asked to renew my passport while entering US"  Officer- " That is correct" . Me - " I have renewed my passport and need a new I94" Office then looked at my documents and issued me a new I94. I also got a paper copy as a Bonus ..hehe.  Once you get i94 walk outside the go through the point of entry check posts. There I told officer that I was here to get new I94. He checked the I94 and let me enter. Plain and simple. 

Documents to carry - Residential proof, Driving license, Employment proof, I797, LCAs, Both passports (of course) , pay stubs, Officer wanted to see my employment start date. 

IMP- Politely ask officer if he can issue you a I94 till VISA end date. By default there they issue i94 for 6 months. Better to check with them. In cases such as ours they issue i94 till VISA end dates usually.