Urgent-Is I-94 extension (after passport renewal) happening at Tijuana-Mexico OR Stopped !!!

I did get new i94 at otay mesa poe yesterday, here is my exp

-I went to global enforcement center early morning around 6 in San Diego, they said they don't issue new i94 and told to cross the border n come bak

-crossed the bridge next to global enrollment center, it goes to Mexico Imm office and told them I don't stay and will go bak to us now, I got 1day permit to mexico

-I crossed the road where all vehicles heading to us and come bak to us poe

-told them I'm here to get new i94

-officer sent me to the counter to pay 6$ and went to Imm officer to get my i94

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Everyone,

I see this forum is of great help to each and all. I also wish that everyone's problem get solved. And I also hope I would get benefitted from this forum on my case.

My I-94 and L1-B visa are expiring on the same day. (I have my friends who have 5 years of I-94 date whereas I their visas are only for 3 years).

Am planning to go to Port of entry at Nogales, Mexico from Tucson, Arizona for extening my I-94 dates. This case is different from the cases mentioned above as many were having valid visas. I have an expiring visa and my plan is to extend my I-94 and stay till it ends.

It would be very helpful it someone can advice on their experiences at this port of entry. 

Thanks in advance!

Hello,

My wife's I-94 expired last month due to her PP. I am planning to go to San Diego this weekend and cross into Tijuana to get a new I-94. I have a couple of questions -

1) Do I need to cross the border or Can i get it done at SENTRI?

2) If I need to cross and come back, could you tell me the steps? Walk/Drive? Where to park? How far is the walk? I have a 2-year-old and would like to understand my options.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Got my wife's i94 extended on Otay Mesa nov 17th,  i went to Mexico and came back for i94 extension.  Once you enter back into building tell the officer that  you came for   i94 extension they will scan your passport and ask you to stand in i94 line . I have carried i797 and my I94 print out ,  which officer took since i told them that i don't need a new i94. process took almost 1 hour.

Ps:- you can  try getting i94 before crossing Mexico, there are two office in same building  , front office is for  some other purpose, if an inquire anything they will ask you to take appointment .  so avoid the first office and walk forward were you can see people scanning there bags or you can see a queue were people standing which is mostly the i94 line.

• 1 month later...

This forum has been very helpful to me. I was able to get my I94 extended today(Jan 7,2018)  at Otay Mesa, California Enrollment Center without actually crossing the border.

2500 Paseo Internacional, San Diego, CA 92143

Below is my experience :

1)  There is a public parking for a charge of $12 for 24 hours (or $6 for 2 hours) at the start of the street.  It is maintained by a gas station adjacent to McDonald's.  I was not sure how long it would take, so paid $12 for 24 hours.

2) Walked to Enrollment center from there. ( 5 mins walk to the dead end of the street)

3) Once I reached the center, I stood in the I-94 lane where an officer was checking passport and allowing inside to get I-94. He checked my Visa in the passport (which is valid till Nov 2019) and then he noticed that I already have the Admit Until stamp till Feb 2018. I said to him that I need a new I-94 as that Admit Until stamp was given only till my old passport expiry date. He said he need to check with his supervisor. He talked to him for about 1 min and said it is okay to get new I-94. I paid $6 to get the empty I94 paper.

4) After that, I entered a small room where couple of officers are filling the empty I-94 with the actual information. Officer took my old and new passports and asked couple of questions like Which Visa ? Where are you working ? Office Address etc..  

He then filled the I-94 paper with validity until my H1B Visa and also stamped the "Admit Until" in my passport till my VISA validity. (Officer told me that I94 will be updated online too and should not worry if I lose that paper). 

5) Immediately after coming out of the office, I was able to see new I94 online too.

Whole process took me less than 30 mins as there were not many people at that time. (Sunday @4pm).  Hope this experience helps someone !

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Friends,

I got my i94 admit date until current passport expiry date  and i have renewed my passport recently  and would like to update i94 inline with my i797 date(which is 2 years from now).

Can i update my i94 by visiting this enrollment center at Otay Mesa, California ?

Edited by ashwin2686
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello Friends,

This forum (especially this thread) helped us so much, so first of all thank you for all who shared their I-94 renewal story. We were able to renew my wife's I-94 (expired 5+ moths ago due to PP expiry) at Canada border.

Before sharing the story, few things I would like to highlight that I struggled to find when I was searching for.

1) If you I-94 already EXPIRED due to PP expiry and you have valid I-797 and VISA stamp in your PP, DO NOT worry. You still have options to get new I-94. Check this thread from page 1, you will find at least 8 members could renew their I-94 even after 11 months of expiry.

2) I see everyone is going to Mexico border because you do not need VISA in mexico, however if you are in New England or near Canada border, you can go to Canada. My wife crossed the border WITHOUT any type of Canadian VISA and take a U turn (car).

3) CBP officer may not like to issue new I-94 and let you in to USA because your I-94 date in your I-797 is not expired. They say you are fine. But explain patiently that your I-94 expired online, that will be an issue.

With that, here is our story:

Our H1 and H4 has valid I-94 date till 2020, My wife travelled to India last year and got VISA stamping till 2020. However due to her PP getting expired in Feb 2018, she got I-94 date as Feb 2018 in the POE. We renewed the passport later but completely forgot about I-94. We only found recently after 5+ months. Attorney and employer suggested to go to India ASAP and come back before we hit 180 day mark and said no stamping required as its valid till 2020. We see no requirement to travel India as we have valid I797 and valid VISA stamp. So we decided to drive to Canada border which is 3 hours drive, however we do not have time for getting Canada VISA (hitting 180 mark in one week). So we decided to drive to Canada border without VISA. One member said in another thread that Canada officer let him take U turn even without having Canada VISA. So my wife alone drove to Canada and came back (they do not have pedestrian crossing there) while I wait at the border. Canadian officer declined her entry as there is no visitor or transit VISA and allowed to drive her back to USA without any issue. However the officer at US CBP would not like to issue new I-94 because her I-797 still has valid date. However she showed her online status and convinced that the dates are not matching. Finally the officer agreed and issued new I-94 (paper format, later reflected online).

So much stress got relieved, we are hoping this will be helpful to someone.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/16/2018 at 6:12 PM, madhuh1b said:

Hello Friends,

This forum (especially this thread) helped us so much, so first of all thank you for all who shared their I-94 renewal story. We were able to renew my wife's I-94 (expired 5+ moths ago due to PP expiry) at Canada border.

Before sharing the story, few things I would like to highlight that I struggled to find when I was searching for.

1) If you I-94 already EXPIRED due to PP expiry and you have valid I-797 and VISA stamp in your PP, DO NOT worry. You still have options to get new I-94. Check this thread from page 1, you will find at least 8 members could renew their I-94 even after 11 months of expiry.

2) I see everyone is going to Mexico border because you do not need VISA in mexico, however if you are in New England or near Canada border, you can go to Canada. My wife crossed the border WITHOUT any type of Canadian VISA and take a U turn (car).

3) CBP officer may not like to issue new I-94 and let you in to USA because your I-94 date in your I-797 is not expired. They say you are fine. But explain patiently that your I-94 expired online, that will be an issue.

Our H1 and H4 has valid I-94 date till 2020, My wife travelled to India last year and got VISA stamping till 2020. However due to her PP getting expired in Feb 2018, she got I-94 date as Feb 2018 in the POE. We renewed the passport later but completely forgot about I-94. We only found recently after 5+ months. Attorney and employer suggested to go to India ASAP and come back before we hit 180 day mark and said no stamping required as its valid till 2020. We see no requirement to travel India as we have valid I797 and valid VISA stamp. So we decided to drive to Canada border which is 3 hours drive, however we do not have time for getting Canada VISA (hitting 180 mark in one week). So we decided to drive to Canada border without VISA. One member said in another thread that Canada officer let him take U turn even without having Canada VISA. So my wife alone drove to Canada and came back (they do not have pedestrian crossing there) while I wait at the border. Canadian officer declined her entry as there is no visitor or transit VISA and allowed to drive her back to USA without any issue. However the officer at US CBP would not like to issue new I-94 because her I-797 still has valid date. However she showed her online status and convinced that the dates are not matching. Finally the officer agreed and issued new I-94 (paper format, later reflected online).

Hi, Does anyone has experience of getting their I-94 renewed at US-Canada border after passport renewal?

If yes, can you renew at following locations? Thanks for all of you posting your experiences.

1)      Niagara fall? or

2)      Detroit Windsor tunnel? or

3)      Detroit Ambassador bridge?

• 2 months later...
On 8/16/2018 at 7:12 PM, madhuh1b said:

Hello Friends,

Is H1B I-797A (I-94 date) printed at the bottom even applicable for H4 dependents? My husband's papers all have valid I-94 date still Dec 2019. My I-94 expired 9 months ago on Feb-2018. Can I go to Canada and show my husband's papers and get approval for New I-94? Or Will I be barred for 3 years of entry?

22 hours ago, Padma22 said:

Is H1B I-797A (I-94 date) printed at the bottom even applicable for H4 dependents? My husband's papers all have valid I-94 date still Dec 2019. My I-94 expired 9 months ago on Feb-2018. Can I go to Canada and show my husband's papers and get approval for New I-94? Or Will I be barred for 3 years of entry?

Any suggestions. Urgent. Please help.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

My L1A Visa is valid till Oct 2019 and my I-94 is valid till April 30th 2019 which was matched with my old passport valid date. Now that I got my passport renewed, I am planning to visit San Diego border. Few questions as listed below:
1. My I-94 is valid till April 30th 2019 which is around 90 days from now. Will they agree to extend my I-94 if I visit CBP next week? Is there any time frame such as not before 60 days or something?
2. I am on L1A blanket petition. Is there any concern for I-94 extension?
3. Reading through the responses, I do not need Mexico visa. Hope this is correct.
4. I work in Minneapolis. Hope this should not matter to them. 
5. The I-94 extension is applicable to my wife and son as well. They have the same date on their I-94. I will be taking them along with me. So in total it is an extension for 3 of us ($18).

Many thanks in advance.
Girish  

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I94 -  Renewed successfully at Nogales Port of entry (Phoenix, AZ / Mexico border) - even after 2 years of expiry 

My daughter dependent Visa (H4) I94 expired for 2 years from March 4,  2017 to March 2, 2019.  My entire family went to India  for vacation in July 2016 and returned back in August 2016,  my wife passport and daughter passport both expiring in March 2017 and at the port of entry we i saw mine and my wife I-94 date stamped on the passport and it was given until my petition expiry date of May, 16 2019, but I  didn't check my daughter's passport assuming she also would have got same like us. But all out attached I94 in the I797 has until May 16, 2019 that is a good part.

First week of February , 2019 i started collecting document for renewal process, when i try to pull the I-94 for all of us i got surprised that my daughters I 94 expired almost 2 years and I was in shock. I visited local CBP office for correction and officer told that they  cannot correct it because current I94 was given correctly and  there was no mistake and she told  it was issued until the passport expiry.  So she ask me to  exit the country and enter again. She suggested me to visit the Nogales port of entry for correction.

on March 2, 2019 I made a trip with family to Nogales POE and with full of grim &  fear thinking what will happen . I was lot worried what will happen, it was  heart throbbing and nail biting experience. 

Waiting in the line for my turn, officer asked me

1. Ques what is the purpose of my visit:   
    • Ans:  My daughter I94 expired 
  2. Ques :who is your Employer
    • I said My employer name 
  3. Ques: What is that company doing 
    • I said, in to IT services and technology company

Handed over my daughters old  and new passport along with Petition papers and he verified all the documents including my H1 petition and my passport  and stamping pages.

They took finger print and picture of my daughter and finally he swiped the passport in the system and he issued I94 till her petition  expiry i.e May 16, 2019. At the counter paid $6 and they  issued Paper I94 as well.

Immediately i logged in to DHS website to check the the date is reflected and it did immediately. 

we are so happy and left the border with joy.

This is just to give heads to everyone even after 2 years of I94 expiry we were able to renew it.

Hope my post would help other peoples who are in same state of mind that I had gone thru.. 

Good luck .!!

Edited by Panman
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/28/2019 at 4:55 PM, girishramagiri said:

Hi All,

My L1A Visa is valid till Oct 2019 and my I-94 is valid till April 30th 2019 which was matched with my old passport valid date. Now that I got my passport renewed, I am planning to visit San Diego border. Few questions as listed below:
1. My I-94 is valid till April 30th 2019 which is around 90 days from now. Will they agree to extend my I-94 if I visit CBP next week? Is there any time frame such as not before 60 days or something?
2. I am on L1A blanket petition. Is there any concern for I-94 extension?
3. Reading through the responses, I do not need Mexico visa. Hope this is correct.
4. I work in Minneapolis. Hope this should not matter to them. 
5. The I-94 extension is applicable to my wife and son as well. They have the same date on their I-94. I will be taking them along with me. So in total it is an extension for 3 of us ($18).

Many thanks in advance.
Girish  

Thank you everyone for sharing such a vital information on getting I-94 extension at Otay Mesa, San Diego. Although, our company immigration department warned us not to take this route, the information shared over here boosted our confidence level. And so we reached Otay Mesa on Sunday noon and straight away headed towards I-94 queue. When it was our turn, we mentioned the reason of us being there and handed over Driver License ID, L1A Petition document and Passports. The CBP officer examined all documents, asked basic questions (current residence, petition company), captured our photo and fingerprints. Then he handed over updated I-94 in physical printed format. All in all, it took 30 minutes that included shift change delay. And yes, we did NOT cross the border!! Just before leaving the premises, I checked online I-94 and it was updated with extended dates. Once again thank you all!

• 11 months later...
On 3/18/2019 at 6:17 PM, girishramagiri said:

Thank you everyone for sharing such a vital information on getting I-94 extension at Otay Mesa, San Diego. Although, our company immigration department warned us not to take this route, the information shared over here boosted our confidence level. And so we reached Otay Mesa on Sunday noon and straight away headed towards I-94 queue. When it was our turn, we mentioned the reason of us being there and handed over Driver License ID, L1A Petition document and Passports. The CBP officer examined all documents, asked basic questions (current residence, petition company), captured our photo and fingerprints. Then he handed over updated I-94 in physical printed format. All in all, it took 30 minutes that included shift change delay. And yes, we did NOT cross the border!! Just before leaving the premises, I checked online I-94 and it was updated with extended dates. Once again thank you all!

Hi @girishramagiri Can you provide me address of this Otay Mesa CBP office and was it open 24x7 ? Or only on weekdays ? What documents did you took with you ? It will be helpful as I'm thinking of visiting this place for i-94 extension.

Edited by drishtu11