Urgent-Is I-94 extension (after passport renewal) happening at Tijuana-Mexico OR Stopped !!!

I went to the Border at San Ysidro but please be aware that they have stopped giving the i94 there. There they will ask you to go to Otay Mesa border its 20-25 min from there. Please aware about this..luckily Otay Mesa  my work was done.. Please please plan your trip on this information

Thank you for valuable info.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for your information!!!

I am planning to cross border Otay Mesa on 16th June for my I-94 extension. Can you please provide more information on your experience in the Otay Mesa border? Please give me information like parking, how you went from Mexico immigration to US border and customs by walk or taxi? IS this border safe to go with family? Thanks in advance 

Hi Guys,

I am in the same boat, I have visa Stamped until Sep-2016 and I797 Valid Until Sep 2016, Where as My I94 Expired in March-2016 and I came to know that when I started Applying for my H1B Extension and I was shocked to know that  I am already out of status, where as My Employer said exit the country and get the new I94 and come back again.

I am planning to travel Tijuana this weekend.. is any one else planning to be out there on Sunday with the similar kind of situation ? and if yes how are you planning to go (By walk or Road) and if some one can share there experience which one should I opt for will be a great benefit for me.

Thanks in Advance. Please do let me know guys.

-Thanks

raofoams.

I went to the Border at San Ysidro but please be aware that they have stopped giving the i94 there. There they will ask you to go to Otay Mesa border its 20-25 min from there. Please aware about this..luckily Otay Mesa  my work was done.. Please please plan your trip on this information

Hi sameraoj480,

Please share your experience in Otay POE. I visited San Ysidro POE lat week and they told me to  stopped the I94 renewal. 

Will they do in  Otay POE? did they ask any questions ? . Please post it your exp.

Thanks

Hello All,

I had planned to travel to San Ysidro on June 11th, 2016 for getting my I94 renewed since it was provided only upto Oct2016 (my previous passport expiry date). 

I got tons of info in this forum and infact it gave me a lot of confidence.

However, the last update about San Ysidro POE not doing the I-94 renewals came as a setback.

Can anyone please help me with the following info - 

> Is it confirmed that San Ysidro does not I94 renewals anymore, any other person who faced the same besides sameraoj480. (thank you Sameraoj480 for sharing this info). Please let me know if San Ysidro still does renewals or not. OR how was the experience in Otay POE

> What are the hours for San Ysidro / Otay permits office? Is it 24 hours? I land in San Diego at around 23:00 hrs. Can I drive to San Ysidro or Otay immediately (in a couple of hours) for the renewal? Or are there fixed office timings?

> Is anyone travelling for I-94 renewal on the same day (i.e. 10th June 2016 after 11:00 PM or 11th June 2016 morning hours)? If yes, kindly share your email, it would be big help to me.

Thank you!

Satya 

Hi SataSN,

I have been to Otay in June 3.

Is it confirmed that San Ysidro does not I94 renewals anymore, any other person who faced the same besides sameraoj480. (thank you Sameraoj480 for sharing this info). Please let me know if San Ysidro still does renewals or not.

Yes that is correct San Ysidro is not doing I94 at least for now not sure about the future.

how was the experience in Otay POE

As I went by walk to SY, So I had a taxi from SN to OM cost me 12 dollars, then went to First line officer didnt ask me any thing I just told here that I need I94 she said pay 6 dollars.

went to second line paid 6 dollars they give me blank white page of I94.

Went to third line waited for like 1 Hour and my number came in and office asked me why you are here then I said PP Expired so did my I94, he then simply stamped my passport and give me the new I94.

-Thanks

raofoams.

Thanks Raofoams,

I am planning to vist otayMesa border on June 16th.

Looks you traveled San Ysidro  Border to Otay Mesa Border  by Taxi ?

Otay Mesa Border you crossed by walk?  Mexican authority provide you temp visa?

How you cross the Road inside mexico (  mexican immigration to US Immigration line )  by walk or again took taxi

what time you went and how was the crowd ?   advance thanks 

raofoams, on 06 Jun 2016 - 2:12 PM, said:

Hi SataSN,

I have been to Otay in June 3.

Is it confirmed that San Ysidro does not I94 renewals anymore, any other person who faced the same besides sameraoj480. (thank you Sameraoj480 for sharing this info). Please let me know if San Ysidro still does renewals or not.

Yes that is correct San Ysidro is not doing I94 at least for now not sure about the future.

how was the experience in Otay POE

As I went by walk to SY, So I had a taxi from SN to OM cost me 12 dollars, then went to First line officer didnt ask me any thing I just told here that I need I94 she said pay 6 dollars.

went to second line paid 6 dollars they give me blank white page of I94.

Went to third line waited for like 1 Hour and my number came in and office asked me why you are here then I said PP Expired so did my I94, he then simply stamped my passport and give me the new I94.

-Thanks

raofoams.

My Experience:

I went to SY for the i94 renewal 

as I didn't know that they have stopped giving i94 there I went through the gate into Mexico.

I told the reason as i94 extension at the counter they gave me 1 day pass. I pressed red button and entered in to mexico. As mentioned in this group I avoided the line and went directly to i94 extension but the officer there told that they have stopped giving the i94 there so you have to go to Otay Mesa Border to get it and asked to hire a yellow taxi and go there. It will take 15-20 mins he said. 

I took the taxi which cost me 15$ and he dropped me at the Otay Mesa border. Please don't go  through SY border post until you know they have started giving the i94 again. Go to the Otay Mesa border inside USA only

There it was same process of taking Permit voucher for 7$ follow the line and explain why you have come there. They are very friendly and co-operative. I had a good experience there, Best of luck for all the folks planning going here onwards

My Experience:

as I didn't know that they have stopped giving i94 there I went through the gate into Mexico.

I told the reason as i94 extension at the counter they gave me 1 day pass. I pressed red button and entered in to mexico. As mentioned in this group I avoided the line and went directly to i94 extension but the officer there told that they have stopped giving the i94 there so you have to go to Otay Mesa Border to get it and asked to hire a yellow taxi and go there. It will take 15-20 mins he said. 

I took the taxi which cost me 15$ and he dropped me at the Otay Mesa border. Please don't go  through SY border post until you know they have started giving the i94 again. Go to the Otay Mesa border inside USA only

There it was same process of taking Permit voucher for 7$ follow the line and explain why you have come there. They are very friendly and co-operative. I had a good experience there, Best of luck for all the folks planning going here onwards

Can we go to 9777 Via De La Amistad, San Diego from San Deigo Airport without crossing the border? Could you please advice?

Hello Community Members,

My Case: My daughter's passport (L2 VISA) expired as of Jan 31st 2015. I do have her new passport with me. Her VISA is also active (1 Feb 2018). When we reached LAX last year, the CBP Officer stamped her passport with the date mentioned as Jan 28th 2018. But this date was not matching the I-94 record online. Infact, the online I-94 record was showing as Nov 16th 2016. A few days ago I tried to check for her latest I-94 record but it is not showing any results now!

- I am planning to go to the Otay Mesa border on Mon, 6/13 along with my daughter to get her a new I-94 record. I did check with my attorney and he was mentioning that when you visit Mexico or Canada for less than 30 days, they will consider your existing I-94 record. In my daughter's case her I-94 record is not there so it may be ok.

I am concerned on this and I hope someone on this thread can provide clarity ?

Part 2 of my query:  After reading the latest posts it is my understanding that at San Ysidro they have stopped (for now) providing I-94.

Can someone guide me how should I go from San Diego to Otay Mesa. Most of the posts here refer to instructions on San Ysidro..

1. Please share your experience on where to park the car at Otay Mesa (Kindly provide the GPS Address too)

2. I believe once I reach Otay Mesa,  should I be able to follow the instructions similar to San Ysdiro, is that correct?

I would sincerely appreciate your help as am my intended date of travel to the Tijuana is very close.

Thanks,

Anand

@sameraoj480 - How far is this Otay Mesa border from San Ysidro? I plan to travel by foot, cross the border and was hoping to come back with a new i94 card. How can I access Otay Mesa from San Ysidro? Are you sure that they have stopped issuing i94s at San Ysidro border? Thanks.

My Experience:

Hi Sameroa,

Could you please tell me whether we can directly go to Otay Mesa? We dont need to cross the border? I am going this week. Please helo. When I look for Otay Mesa address it says, I have to cross the border.

Hello Community Members,

My Case: My daughter's passport (L2 VISA) expired as of Jan 31st 2015. I do have her new passport with me. Her VISA is also active (1 Feb 2018). When we reached LAX last year, the CBP Officer stamped her passport with the date mentioned as Jan 28th 2018. But this date was not matching the I-94 record online. Infact, the online I-94 record was showing as Nov 16th 2016. A few days ago I tried to check for her latest I-94 record but it is not showing any results now!

- I am planning to go to the Otay Mesa border on Mon, 6/13 along with my daughter to get her a new I-94 record. I did check with my attorney and he was mentioning that when you visit Mexico or Canada for less than 30 days, they will consider your existing I-94 record. In my daughter's case her I-94 record is not there so it may be ok.

I am concerned on this and I hope someone on this thread can provide clarity ?

Part 2 of my query:  After reading the latest posts it is my understanding that at San Ysidro they have stopped (for now) providing I-94.

Can someone guide me how should I go from San Diego to Otay Mesa. Most of the posts here refer to instructions on San Ysidro..

1. Please share your experience on where to park the car at Otay Mesa (Kindly provide the GPS Address too)

2. I believe once I reach Otay Mesa,  should I be able to follow the instructions similar to San Ysdiro, is that correct?

I would sincerely appreciate your help as am my intended date of travel to the Tijuana is very close.

Thanks,

Anand

Hi Anand,

Did you succeed in extending your i94 at Otay Mesa?

Please share your experience.

Hi,

I am in same situation. I have my H1B visa till 2017 June. However, my i94 is getting expired next month (Jul 11 2016) due to passport exiration on same day. I live in NJ, i am planning to fly to Cancun-Mexico next week and come back to get my new i94.

does this work? appreciate any quick help on this.

Thanks,

Narendra

Hi ,

Got I-94 Extension in Otay Mesa Border June 16th. It was very easy & Officers were very friendly on both US & Mexican side.

My I-94 expires on Nov 9th 2016 but my visa is valid until 2018, so I try to get extension up to my visa 2018.

Drove Wednesday from San Jose  to San Diego stayed in Hotel at Chula Vista, San Diego.

From Hotel to Border 15 min drive: (very easy drive )

Address for Border  :

First Bank- Otay Mesa 
2494 Roll Dr, San Diego, CA 92154

Before border about 100 feet from US customs, parking is available $8 (24 hours ) & $5 (2 hours).

Otay mesa border before crossing,  I tried to get I94 extension from US side , but US officer ask me to cross border .

I cross the border by walk--Pedestrian walk to Mexico.   It took just 1 min to Mexican side. 
Mexican side did not ask me single question. I asked them how to enter US side.  They don't speak in English - just only Spanish & sign language .  No Mexican stamp on my passport , no red button to press, no luggage checks.

I walked to the end of pole and just cross the road and went to US line. ( Cars don't move fast and are waiting for border entry so easy to cross the road )

Very small line in US Border - 3 lines.  I-94 stand in line next to wall -waited 10 min, US security allowed me inside gate.
I waited inside in a line for another 10 min for my turn with officer. The officer asked me why i am there, i told her about
I -94 extension, she looked the passport and i797 and  filled yellow sheet and gave it to me . She told me to pay in the front desk $6 and to go to permit room.  I paid $6 and went to permit room( no queue), Officer verified my I-797 and issued me I-94 until my visa validity. The whole process was less than an hour. 

Hi All,

I got the i94 updated at Otay Mesa border yday. Contributing back to the community. Appreciate all the posts on this thread.

Drove all the way to San Diego from SFO. Parked my car at  2525 Otay Center Dr, San Diego, CA 92154. Parking is free.

Pedestrian border crossing is rite next to it (opposite to jack in the box). Walked across the border. Two revolving metal gates into Mexico. Not checks whatsoever. 

Crossed the road(Lil tricky. Messy traffic. Just cross like we do in India). There is the path way to US port of entry. Waited in the right lane.

Spoke to the officer. He gave me a red slip for 2 i94s.  Wait time 30mins.

Cashier wait time 30 mins. Paid the money. $12 for 2 i94s.

Next line for i94 extn. We had to show the receipt from cashier. Wait time 30mins.

Officer took our finger prints. Asked few questions on my job location. Asked for petition and passports. Printed the new i94 for me and my wife. Also stamped the passport with updated admit till date.

Tats it. All good.

Walked out of POE. Took a left turn. Crossed two traffic lights. On the left you would see jack in the box. Drove back to SFO.

The only issue i see is that the i94 is not updated online for me. For my wife it got updated immediately. Any idea on this?

Thanks.

Hi all!

I'm new to this forum. It's really helping others to get their i94 extended after/before expiry date. I'm in the same situation I'm a L2 visa holder. My wife is on L1. My passport got expired on 11 June 2016. I renewed it on February 2016 but forgot to check my i94 which expired on 11 June 2016. My daughter passport got renewed at the same time but she had i94 till October 2016. So I'm planning to go tomorrow 06/27/2016 with my daughter to Otay Mesa Border to get new i94 for us. Please suggest me what all the documents should I carry(L2). If any one planning for tomorrow I can join.

Thanks

I got the i94 updated at Otay Mesa border yday. Contributing back to the community. Appreciate all the posts on this thread.

Drove all the way to San Diego from SFO. Parked my car at  2525 Otay Center Dr, San Diego, CA 92154. Parking is free.

Pedestrian border crossing is rite next to it (opposite to jack in the box). Walked across the border. Two revolving metal gates into Mexico. Not checks whatsoever. 

Crossed the road(Lil tricky. Messy traffic. Just cross like we do in India). There is the path way to US port of entry. Waited in the right lane.

Spoke to the officer. He gave me a red slip for 2 i94s.  Wait time 30mins.

Cashier wait time 30 mins. Paid the money. $12 for 2 i94s.

Next line for i94 extn. We had to show the receipt from cashier. Wait time 30mins.

Officer took our finger prints. Asked few questions on my job location. Asked for petition and passports. Printed the new i94 for me and my wife. Also stamped the passport with updated admit till date.

Tats it. All good.

Walked out of POE. Took a left turn. Crossed two traffic lights. On the left you would see jack in the box. Drove back to SFO.

The only issue i see is that the i94 is not updated online for me. For my wife it got updated immediately. Any idea on this?

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

My situation is I-94 overstay for 9 months (I-94 expired on last yr Sep 2015). Had valid 797 & H1b visa copy (797 expires on Aug 16, 2016).

Planning to cross Mexico border next week to ask for latest I-94.

My worry is will I get latest I-94 or will it trigger a  3 yr-ban as I had an overstayed I-94 more than 180 days and I will not be issued an I-94???

Kindly share your border experience if any one is the same situation (I-94 expired more than 8 months) and got latest I-94....

My situation is I-94 will be expiring on 7/31/2016, Had valid 797 & H1b visa copy (797 expires on Aug, 2017).

Planning to cross Mexico border this week to ask for latest I-94. 

I'm planning to cross Mexico Border tomorrow / day after tomorrow. 

What's your plan??? Is it on weekdays or weekend this week??

I'm planning to cross Mexico Border tomorrow / day after tomorrow. 

What's your plan??? Is it on weekdays or weekend this week??

I am going on 7/23/2016. I am travelling to San diego tomorrow.  please message me your number at *******************@gmail.com

Edited by MurthyAdmin
Members who wish to share their contact information may do so by updating their profile with the information they wish to share.