H1B extension approved - NO I-94 in I-797C

yy1979

My previous I-94 (and H1B) expired in Sept 2011. My employer filed for H1B extension before the expiry in Aug 2011. Just received the I-797C approval notice for the H1B extension but there's no I-94 at the bottom of the page. The I-797C does mention that "the lower portion of the page contains the I-94 etc etc", as if the I-94 was there -- but it's not.

Any idea what's going on here? Should I be expecting an I-797A (instead of I-797C)? Or is this some clerical error at USCIS? Or does this mean I need to go back to my home county to get a new Visa, as well as I-94 upon entry?

Thanks.

I797C is a courtesy copy to you mentioning that your petition is approved. Original copy (I797A/I797B) will be with your attorney/employer. if they received I797B,then most likely that your extension for stay in US is not granted. you have to leave the country and comeback to get a new i94. if your employer received I797A, then most likely your stay is extended and you will see i94 at the bottom of it. Check with your Attorney and Employer ASAP.

I797C is a courtesy copy to you mentioning that your petition is approved. Original copy (I797A/I797B) will be with your attorney/employer. if they received I797B,then most likely that your extension for stay in US is not granted. you have to leave the country and comeback to get a new i94. if your employer received I797A, then most likely your stay is extended and you will see i94 at the bottom of it. Check with your Attorney and Employer ASAP.

You're absolutely right. I got in touch with my attorney and they have the I-797A with I-94 Attached. What was previously sent to me was the I-797C my employer received.

• 1 year later...

Archived