J1 visa in the US Dilemma

elmeromero

Dear friends,

I have been a canadian permanent resident for the past 3 years working at as a researcher in a University Hospital here.

I have applied for my citizenship a month ago, and at the same time accepted a position in clinical medicine at a University in the US. It would start in June 2012, and it will be on J1 visa (not research J1, because its formal residency training)

I have obtained something called a statement of need from Health Canada (basically its a document stating that canada needs graduates from this specialty to serve in canada, and this essential for J1 application, since I am expected to come back to the place of my last legal permanent residency, which is Canada in my case).

It gets a bit convoluted now, so please bear with me here:

I applied from Toronto to citizenship, usually it would take about 14 months-18 months until I am called in for citizenship test, and after that for the Oath:

I am worried that my J1 visa would not be issued on a multiple entry basis (This aspect is very much subjective and not objective, depending on how the consular official (US one) feels that day!! I know its hard to understand, but its totally up to his/her discretion)

If I had the bad luck of not having the multiple entry status, I would not be able to come for the citizenship test and oath, i may be able to come only ONCE, as it would be too risky coming twice, since I need to apply all over again for J1, and this might take up to a month, and if i am seeing patients on ICU service, for instance, my program would not wait for a month for me to get back there.

I am very distressed, my priority is continue my career in Canada after I am trained in the US, as I love this country, and feel that its the best environment possible for self-fulfillment and good living.

What could I do to maintain my permanent residency in Canada in case I had the misfortune of not having a multiple-entry J1? would they take in consideration my 3 years spent in canada (during which I was a fully functioning scholar, with publications in a famous Canadian institution), and in which I payed my taxes regularly for the past 3 years? Do you have any suggestion for my dilemma?

This leads me to my second question:

If i am on a non-multiple entry J1 visa, and cant leave the US, would Canada be able to renew my Permanet residency card without me being physically there to pick it up considering the risk of losing my career should I travel out of the US? Would they take this on a case-by-case basis?

And last my third question:

If i am on a j1 in the US, but I wish to pay canadian taxes (even though I am in the US), would it be possible to do so instead of paying US taxes? I dont care if its more expensive to pay Canadian taxes, since I consider Canada my country, and I might as well pay them those taxes as it would show that I am serious about maintaining my ties with Canada.

Thank you so much for your patience, help, and time.

"I am worried that my J1 visa would not be issued on a multiple entry basis (This aspect is very much subjective and not objective, depending on how the consular official (US one) feels that day!! I know its hard to understand, but its totally up to his/her discretion)"

This is simply not true. The J1 visa allows for travel during its validity.

Your other questions Involve Canadian Immigration Law. As regards taxation in the USA you need to talk to your residency program for specifics of your tax situation.

Archived