H1 to H4

Rashmi_wadatkar

Hi,

I have been working on h1 since 2007, i have 2 more years of h1 remaining. I have to go on 1 year maternity break next year, starting Jan 2012, I plan to start working again from Jan 2013.

Now my question is,

How can i lock my unused h1?

I am planning to apply for a COS from H1 to H4, will that freeze my H1 or will it completely cancel it?

Should Me or My employer be applying for something in order to freeze my H1 before my husband applies for my COS as his dependent?

Also, if i am correct, whenever i am ready to work again, I should be looking for a job or Project and apply for COS again with my employer or whoever is ready to transfer my H1, is that correct? or will i have to go through the Quota again, which is as good as new H1 ?

Please, reply if anyone has done this before or has any idea on how this works.

Thanks in advance...

Generally, when a change of status application (COS) is filed from H-1B to H-4, the applicant's status changes to H-4 on approval based on the start date. Time spent on H-4 status does not count towards the 6 year H-1B limit. Generally, an individual who has held H-1B status in the last six years is not subject to the H-1B cap. Kindly consult with an immigration attorney to discuss specific questions regarding your case.

Archived