Out of state tuition after GC approval - MBA in Texas

I joined part time MBA in Jan 2011 while in H1B status and pending I-485. As I had already worked continuously in Texas for a couple of years, I was able to pay in state fees for the first semester.

However, after receiving my green card a few days ago, when I asked the international office to waive some fees related to international students, they stated that I will now have to pay out of state tuition. They claimed it was Texas law that you should have had GC for a minimum of 12 months to be eligible for in state.

Is this true? I don't understand how permanent residency status can cause you to pay out of state.If that is the case, I won't be able to continue with my MBA as I can't afford out of state tuition.

Any information will be much appreciated.

You would have to look up the law in Texas.

Here in CA, the law says that you have to have established residence in the state for a year before being eligible for in-state tuition. I assume that's similar in Texas.

So, the question then would be: how does a person establish residence? For Americans, it is actually living there. For foreigners, it can be having a GC for one year. In CA, being on H1, H4 or similar for one year in the state is also good enough. I don't know if that's the case in Texas.

And btw, the international office probably doesn't know much about this. They deal with people on F1.

Talk with the registrar.

From a quick look at the UT Austin website http://bealonghorn.utexas.edu/residency, there is a website called collegeforalltexans (can't post the link here), which has the residency classification info.

Originally posted by davidid8:

It looks like they made a mistake by allowing you to pay instate tuition before you had your green card.

What I know is you have to be a green card holder or US citizen and have lived in TX for 12 months before you can pay in state tuition.

Not according to what I saw on the websites about residence classification.

• 1 month later...

Archived