221G Pink Chennai Tracker

ashiktmz

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forgot to mention - Passport retained at consulate

Almost 7 weeks now...

Any one been in similar situation in the past .. any guesses how long should i wait..?

Hey - The very fact that they retained the passport is good, right?!? If they just returned it to you and asked you to wait, then it would have caused more angst and worry....'cos then you have no option but to wait, and AFTER they requested your passport (as is happening with some in here), this whole waiting time that you are now experiencing would happen....It would have added several weeks more to your already frustrating wait. Or worse still, they could have just denied the whole visa...then, it's game over....You are fortunately not in that category, so count your blessings.

It is sad that people have to undergo this misery.....However, when it comes to National security, all this is very much justified and inevitable....

I was stuck in 221g a few months back...I was expecting to be cleared in 3 weeks time...I was pleasantly surprised when my ordeal finished in exactly 10 days (But those 10 days were full of misery, coupled with the grief of having lost my father, the reason for my travel to India). Now why exactly it takes just a few days for some like me, and a few months for others, nobody has a clue...I guess it all depends on an individual's circumstances, what kind of work they do, Countries they have visited, etc...

All I can say is be optimistic, but plan for the worst, and have an alternate plan, if things don't work out for an extended period of time. After all, you have a life to lead, and cannot wait indefinitely for this.

Good luck, and God Bless!

@ srajan1 - retaining the passport may be a positive sign.. not sure.. but in general what i am seeing from all these forums is that name check is taking more time than any other type of check.. They call this Donkey visa clearance... Below is something i read

"Don’t anticipate a quick resolution for a Visas Donkey SAO. A Donkey clearance is for a name “hit” based on noncriminal issues and is not nationality-specific. For instance, a U.K. citizen with the name “Mohammad Khan” or “Muhammad Ali” will very likely be subject to a Donkey clearance. These clearances can take 10–14 weeks to process, while a few take substantially longer. Unfortunately, it is not possible for posts to pre-screen applicants or to begin the SAO process before the visa interview. "

The above post makes me worry... My husband has a common name Ahmed.. Any one with similar experiances... ? Has anyone got their visa less than 10 wks for a name check?

I attended my visa interview at chennai consulate on 05th June 2012 and I was issued pink slip. VO requested documents about employer-employee relationship. I work for a small consultancy company (< 20 employees) in EVC model. I submitted the documents on 13th July at vfs drop box chennai. The guy at the drop box center took my passport though it was not mentioned in the pink slip.

Will update this forum if i receive any updates!!

• 3 weeks later...

Details

Chennai Consulate

Visa Interview Date : 01-Aug-2012

Docs Asked during interview: Passport, I-797

Docs submitted: none

Common Muslim Name: No

History: I had traveled US on B1 for 3 months in 2011, and applied for H1B also in 2011. My H1B was refused under 221G and B1 visa was cancelled by Delhi consulate.

H1B in 2012: Same employer filed petition for H1B in 2012-13 cap, (new petition). I went to Chennai consulate with Wife and Son on 01-Aug-2012. VO asked me general questions like:

What you do?

Where are you going?

Your qualification?

Who is client?

How much you will be paid?

Then

Asked about my travel last year on B1, why you stayed 3 months?

THEN VO STARTED LOOKING INTO SYSTEM FOR 5 mins or so then said No Worries, you qualify for visa, however you need to complete one more step and gave me 221G-Pink slip.

Then I went to another counter and lady asked me questions like details of siblings, height etc.

She took my passport and said your passport will be sent in 10-12 weeks time.

Please give your opinion.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Anyone in this group waiting for more than 5 months?

I had my interview on Feb 23,2012 and have a Muslim last name. The VO said my H1 is approved but will require additional admin processing and it will take 8-10 weeks. Neither my client nor my employer has been contacted. Any one else in the same situation?

Details

Chennai Consulate

Visa Interview Date : 01-Aug-2012

Docs submitted: none

Common Muslim Name: No

History: I had traveled US on B1 for 3 months in 2011, and applied for H1B also in 2011. My H1B was refused under 221G and B1 visa was cancelled by Delhi consulate.

H1B in 2012: Same employer filed petition for H1B in 2012-13 cap, (new petition). I went to Chennai consulate with Wife and Son on 01-Aug-2012. VO asked me general questions like:

What you do?

Where are you going?

Your qualification?

Who is client?

How much you will be paid?

Then

Asked about my travel last year on B1, why you stayed 3 months?

THEN VO STARTED LOOKING INTO SYSTEM FOR 5 mins or so then said No Worries, you qualify for visa, however you need to complete one more step and gave me 221G-Pink slip.

Then I went to another counter and lady asked me questions like details of siblings, height etc.

She took my passport and said your passport will be sent in 10-12 weeks time.

Please give your opinion.

Thanks

-------------------------------

GOOD NEWS. On 13 th I got the mail from VFS and received the passport on 14-Aug with VISA stamped.

Over all, I got my passport within 2 weeks including the weekends.

I got the passport even before the case was updated on chennai.consulate site.

Pray for all of you to get the stamping ASAP.

Hi All,

I had attended my H1b New on August 16th. I am working for a US based leading MNC. The VISA officer asked me two or three questions. He looked the system monitor and he went somewhere with my passport and returned after two minutes.

Then he just told me that "He need to ask few more questions. Just stay relax and you will be called in another counter for few questions". He gave me the passport along with the 221G PINK SLIP and asked me to wait for my counter in the display.

Then I went to another counter. There was an Indian Lady. She asked me few questions like

1. whether I had visited any other countries before.

2. Is your passport has been renewed?

3. Are you having any brother and where he is staying?

Then she measured my height. Finally SHE COLLECTED MY PASSPORT and INFORMED ME LIKE THE PASSPORT WILL BE ISSUED IN 8 - 12 WEEKS. She havent asked me any other docs other than passport.

I just want to know is there any possiblity to get my visa stampted and if so how long it would take. Any suggestions were really appreciated!!!

Hey,

If your case is genuine, nothing to worry about. You WILL get the stamping. The only problem here is, it is impossible to predict the time for this. Unfortunately, for some in here, it has taken a few months. For others, by and large, the resolution comes within a month or so. Prepare yourself for a month's wait anyway.

Bear in mind that this is NOT a rejection. Basically you are in limbo. You just need to hang tight till it comes through.

Is this your first, or second H1 stamping?

Good luck, and God bless. My prayers are with everyone in here.

@221g scapegoat

Thanks for the response. Yes I agree there is nothing else to do for us. My only issue is since it has been so long and i was working as a contractor, my project ended and until now at least my employer has not been contacted. Not sure what they are processing. How about in you case. Any idea if the client or your employer was contacted?

• 3 weeks later...

Details

Chennai Consulate

Visa Interview Date : 28-Sep-2012

Docs submitted: Passport

Common Muslim Name : Yes

VO asked details like Client / Place / Role ...

I am working for Indian MNC. Submitted BEP letter along with Passport to the Counter 31 . Dont know how long we need to wait.../?!!

Any other 221g case recently?

Archived