Employment based Green Card - EB2 with Cross Chargeability

scorpio_neo

I am an employee of a big software consulting firm based in Austin, TX. I am currently working under an H1B visa set to expire in Sep 2013.

I am an Indian citizen married to my wife, who is a Mexican citizen,(born and raised in Mexico). We have been married for 5 months.

My employer will be initiating my Green Card Processing under EB2 shortly. I will be the primary applicant and my wife is the dependent.

As of Nov 11, the priority date for India under EB2 is Nov 07, and that for Mexico under EB2 is current. I want to understand if cross - chargeability will apply in my case and if I/We can use her priority date (file our I140/ I485 concurrently)? And consequently get our green card in about a year's time than wait for 5-6 years?

Appreciate all the help

You can apply for I-140 and I-485 at the same time (concurrent filing) since visa numbers are available under EB2 quota for Mexico. In your I-485 application, you have to indicate that you are requesting cross - chargeability, so that your I-485 application will be accepted.

Note that you don't have to apply for them simultaneously. You can first apply for I-140, get it approved and then apply for I-485 with that I-140 approval. The cross - chargeability clause comes into play only during the I-485 application stage.

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys, i am in the same boat as you people, the question i was having is my wife is mexican, and if my employer is applying for my green card on EB2, requesting cross - chargeability, so that my GC process goes in current, does my wife need to be on dependent visa (H4), or if she has TN, does that make any difference?

Archived