US Citizen Wanting to Marry Indian Citizen

Can someone please assist me. I'm a Christian, U.S. citizen residing in the U.S.A. and want to marry my boyfriend who is a Hindu, Indian citizen and is currently in India. The problem is we are not sure which step to take to make things easier for us regarding marriage. Should I go to India and get married there or would it be easier for him to come to the U.S and get married here? What steps are involved? What are the steps to get a Green Card if we get married in India and what are the steps to get a Green Gard if we get married in the US? Which is easier? How much time would the Green Card process take ie: how long until he gets his Green Card? What documentation is required from each one of our sides?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!!

THANKS!!

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone please assist me. I'm a Christian, U.S. citizen residing in the U.S.A. and want to marry my boyfriend who is a Hindu, Indian citizen and is currently in India. The problem is we are not sure which step to take to make things easier for us regarding marriage. It is my understanding that we can get married in either place (India or U.S.). I want to know what are the steps/procedures in the process?

What are the steps to get a Green Card if we get married in India and what are the steps to get a Green Gard if we get married in the US? Which is easier? How much time would the Green Card process take ie: how long until he gets his Green Card? What documentation is required from each one of our sides?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!!

THANKS!!

What would the respective religions matter for a GC?

There is lots and lots of information on the Web available for a US citizen sponsoring a spouse. I suggest using your favorite search engine.

If you are still unsure, you may want to engage an immigration lawyer to help you with the paperwork.

Generally, people who are engaged to or married to US Citizens have means for becoming Permanent Residents of the United States. The particular way that one will go about it will vary based on whether the non-USC spouse is inside or outside the United States. Some information is available on MurthyDotCom at http://www.murthy.com/marriage.html.

For specific legal advice it is necessary to consult directly with an attorney who can discuss facts, the law and how they apply to provide a recommended course of action.

Archived