Connecting flight from London without H1b Visa Stamp

nv1234

Connecting flight from London without H1b Visa Stamp

Hi Everybody,

I got my 1st H1b this year and I don't have stamping as yet.

I'm going to India in Jan. I took a Virgin Atlantic connecting flight to India. I'll have to change the flight in London.

One of my friend told me that I'll be stopped at London airport because I don't have my visa stamped.

Is it true?

I won't be going out of the London airport and my second flight is just after 2 hours.

Please help. I'm so tensed.

The H1B visa "stamp" will be necessary to be able to return to the U.S. and be admitted into the U.S. pursuant to H1B status. One should consult with a UK immigration attorney with questions regarding the need for a UK visa while making a flight connection in London, UK. Please consult directly with a qualified US immigration attorney to discuss U.S. visa requirements in more detail.

UK Border Agency website requires you to have a UK DATV. Requirement is waived if you have a valid US Visa.

However, in my own experience nobody checked my Visa when I transited through London recently. (Although I had both US and UK Visas). It is up to you if you want to take the risk.

I think in UK they will check to see if you have a valid US visa. Why do they do that...not sure...but they do. Last time when i flew through UK they asked me questions regarding my US visa (which is H1). So if your H1 is not stamped then I am not sure what will they say. So, to be on safe side apply for the other alternative visa that someone above has suggested. And as always talk to your Travel Agent first.

NV1234,

Do check with ur travel agent.

You would need to have a UK transit Visa if your US visa expired. There are few countries that dont need this. Belgium is one them for sure. I was in the same situation and travelled through Brussels without any transit Visa. That is when i learned that about this.

FYI... This is all just based on my experience and what i learned from forums.

• 11 months later...

Hi Anonymous1234

Please share your experience wrt your trip from US to India via UK. I believe while returning there shouldn't have been any issue because you would have a stamped H1B visa. But while going from US to India when your visa was not stamped, were you required to get a transit visa? If yes, did you get the transit visa before booking your air ticket from US to India?

• 6 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Archived