Unethical use of F1 and OPT by Desi consulting companies

HonestGuy7113

Some desi IT companies involved in immigration frauds and also involved in employing foreign national H1B visa holders over US citizens. This is how they scam US workers of their jobs. They post advertisements on some websites about training and placement for job in United States, they prefer F1 Visa or OPT(optional practical training) guys than to US citizens and green card holders.

If an Indian looks at the advertisement and calls them, they ask if you are on H1b or student visa(OPT) if yes, they offer free accommodation, food and free training for jobs in information technology and if the person calling is US citizen or green card holder, most of these companies reject the job offer not wanting to give them training at all and also charge them high amounts to train them in the subject.

The idea behind these information technology firms providing free training and placement to these H1B holders is to get them transfer or file H1B with their firm and then put some fake experience and these companies send them to clients for jobs.

In other words these IT firms are putting fake experience on their employees resumes and sending them on jobs to their client at different locations. Most of the employees working for these so called Indian IT firms are being under paid and also putting US citizens out of job, claiming US citizens job using inappropriate means.

Does any one knows where i can complian about this, any names of Senators, or newspapers that can find out whats going behind the scenes.

What the "idea" behind such companies is is rather irrelevant.

If you have actual evidence of law violations, you can of course report that to the authorities.

If you just want to vent, forget it. And your whole post just like like you are just rambling about something you may think happens, but you have no evidence. You just "think" they are putting fake experience on resumes. Do you have seen such a resume, and know that the experience listed there is fake? That would mean you are the person listed on the resume...

So, again, I suggest forgetting about the vendetta you seem to have.

Find real evidence if you want to complain.

Hi

You can complain with evidence to uscis because all these desi consultancies will send OPTs on fake h1b's to the client place because usually prime vendors and some federal clients will ask persons h1b copy to check the valid period .they will randomly check but they will not do back ground check except federal and security clearance clients Fake documents is illegal and all desis need to run pay as per Purchase order and they will run as per offer letter and per diem vice versa.This is from last 25 years , it's difficult to digest , you can complain by submitting h1b fraud form/to irs tax fraud to irs or illegal activities to local fbi office but your presence is must for all... but uncle sam knows all ..and needs money only!!if you file and pays tax.....

enjoy!!!

This is unethical to blame indian consulting companies. This post is simply a direct blame on the specific nationality companies. This is is not true. As Joe said if you have such evidence, please present in front of the law. law will take its own course of action. Are you 100 % sure that only Indian companies do fraud and not others.

This is a common practice of making up the resume since 25-30 years based on industry requirements. For example a person is experienced in manual testing and has knowledge in automated testing. if he want to aspire a carrer in automated testing. he will project that he has knowledge in that area and show his desire to perform the job. It is up to the company to decide whether to hire him or not based on his skill set.

IT consulting companies stand as a backbone to US economy by hiring skilled labor ,no matter if its American,Indian etc companies.

USCIS is not dumb in approving H1-b visas. They look in to every document before they approve the visa.

Thanks,

Vishnu

• 1 year later...

I think adding fake experience to the Resume is tip of the ICE Berg, Desi Companies do lot more beyond that , in order to place their employees and to make few buck....

Those are  of course are illegal and even may constitute organized crime, since systematic effort is being made to recruit, organize and willfully defraud.

• 3 months later...

I appreciate Honestguy7113.I lost my job  during recession and people were asking me job support.I didnt understand first of all what meant by job support.These fakers will join the job and we have to support them.

I have recently interviewed 2 candidates seems young and put 10 yrs experience.Man they know every stuff theoretical and sometimes practical too. I was amazed.Its clearly written in their face that they are freshers out of college.

Lots and lots of desi company is doing this mistakes for money sake.They inflate the resume and send people for job .Shame on desi companies

We need to report this crime in a way that real experienced people are not getting affected.

• 3 weeks later...

To everyone who is complaining about original poster, you obviously don't know what you're talking about.  This whole business is so prevalent in the industry that it is scary.  Some are asking why fingers are being pointed at only Indian companies, it's because they are doing it more than anyone else.  Companies with roots in places like Hyderabad are more likely to do this.

Here is how I learnt about this.  After two decades in IT, I was made a great offer as an SVP by an Indian owned company, that was involved in many things, like off-shoring, project based work, etc.  When I took over the division, I realized that the P&L statements from these legitimate revenue streams were no where in the range of the overall company revenues as advertised.  I didn't get any answers to questions I put in front of the CEO.  I knew that we had another floor in the building in addition to where my office was.  I happened to take an elevator down to the other floor one day.  I was surprised to see over a dozen young Indian men and women there.  I introduced myself as the new SVP and they introduced themselves to me as consultants on bench.  I was shocked to see such a sizable bench that no one had told me about.  I started asking them their specialties and backgrounds, and pretty quickly figured out that though they were all very sharp kids, they really didn't know much about the areas that they were saying they had years of experience in.  I pushed hard for them to come clean, and then the whole story came out.  They had finished their Masters in various areas (typically not IT related) from pretty respectable schools.  ***, ***, ***, ******* etc.  They had all then looked for jobs in their specific fields but to no avail.  They had then put their resumes in places like desiopt from where one of our recruiters had called them and offered them training, a guest house, and groceries, in exchange for a one year contract.  They were trained just enough to pass a technical screening for a contract job.  Their resumes were then fabricated with an average experience of 8 years in the specific field.  They were then submitted through prime vendors (never direct clients) for positions.  It was understood that these guys will get fired an average of three times before they actually have learnt enough not to get fired.

After learning all this, I went up and questioned the manager heading the operations for this dirty business.  His answers were brief; everyone was doing it.  70% of Indian origin resumes were coming out of these OPT shops, and eventually these guys become productive.  After asking around colleagues in the industry, I did figure out that this was true.  I was told that though this was unethical, it wasn't illegal.  I have never confirmed it with an attorney.  Maybe the moderators on this site can shed a light.  

What honest, well qualified guest workers and prospective immigrants to the US should worry about is that once they no longer fit the questionable contractor specs, they will be competing with the suspect employees along with USCs and current LPRs.  Immigration reform that just dumps a lot of new GC holders into the US workforce where there are already more qualified workers than available jobs (no matter what the tech companies CEOs say, the numbers support the surplus of workers) just adds the new GCers to the surplus.

To everyone who is complaining about original poster, you obviously don't know what you're talking about.

Of course I know what I am talking about.

A competent interviewer can spot fake resume entries. I ask a few questions and know if the person is faking stuff or not.

So, all these fakers don't get very far.

Of course I know what I am talking about.

A competent interviewer can spot fake resume entries. I ask a few questions and know if the person is faking stuff or not.

So, all these fakers don't get very far.

Unfortunately, there are not a lot of competent interviewers out there.  A couple of tricks that these guys use:  say the guy has 7 to 8 years experience rather than 4 to 5 as most jobs require.  Reason:  Common known fact that a manager doesn't grill a seasoned candidate nearly half as much as a junior candidate.  Secondly:  These guys are taking 5 to 6 interviews a day, and by the 2nd or third week, they start getting comfortable in answering most questions.  Most experienced managers like you and I can tell very easily where these guys stand if we were to meet them in person (how old they look is usually a dead giveaway), but it's harder on the phone.  I now insist on Skype if the candidate is not local.  It's hard for them to look at their notes that way.

Bottom line is that even if you and I don't hire these fake candidates, one of the 50 or 60 managers that will interview them will bite.  The benefit of these guy having MS degrees is that at least half of them will be sharp enough to pick things up quickly (in a span of two or three jobs they get fired from), and only a small number will end up back in India.  I kid you not, close to two thirds of H1B candidates floating around in the industry are actually OPT candidates.  

The benefit of these guy having MS degrees is that at least half of them will be sharp enough to pick things up quickly (in a span of two or three jobs they get fired from),  

there is your actual problem..the job duties..

these jobs (Qa,Qc, testing) do not require any college skills let alone MS...the current generation tech crazy highschool kid can easily handle it..

on other hand, say my field, Engineering, there is no way to fake experience and survive on the job...on top of regular job duties,  there is licensing requirement..even if somebody sneaks in with fake resume, the license will automatically weed them out.. 

in our interviews we do not even ask technical questions..

Well, if a company doesn't interview the candidates well, then they deserve bad people... If only a pointy-haired manager interviews technical people, then such a manager deserves the people he gets. There are id*ot companies out there. I remember one that required 5 years experience in Java, when Java was only out for a year... UserFriendly, the comic site, recently had reruns about stup*d recruiters.

Google, MS, Intel, Facebook, etc. wouldn't get fooled by fakers. Neither would I.

I don't care how old somebody looks, I ask questions that can't be faked, and can't be picked up quickly, either, it would come from experience. If they say they know Java well, I ask some obscure Java stuff that they should know if they indeed know Java. Same with C++.

Way back when I was working for a consulting company, we got a reputation for fixing projects that some cheap consulting guys screwed up. At that point, the projects were behind schedule, and the manager's behind was on the line, so we could charge a premium. And guess what, next time they called us from the start ;) Good quality software comes with a price...

There are id*ot companies out there. I remember one that required 5 years experience in Java, when Java was only out for a year... UserFriendly, the comic site, recently had reruns about stup*d recruiters.

This happened to me once. Requirement was 5 yrs exp but that language was just 2 yrs old.

Overall what you have said is 100% true.

its all about how much someone (client/company) is ready to spend. You can get a J2ee developers from 150$/hr to 25$/hr(offshore). and client knows what he is paying and what to expect. You cannot expect BMW performance from KIA (no offense).

Crime/unethical is asking 150$ and delivering 20$ worth of product/quality.

Archived