Police Certificate

bigsurhwy1

Hello Attorney,

I would like to obtain police certificate:

My situation is I got my passport from Mumbai, have renewed my passport from San Francisco consulate in 2009 and lived in USA for more than 12 months and not in other countries. I am living in India now not in Mumbai.

Considering this situation where should I get my police certificate? Please guide me.

Thanks in anticipation.

Cheers

• 2 months later...

Hello bigsurhwy1,

Have you obtained the police certificate? where did you obtain it from? I'm also in the similar situation. I was in Chennai and Bangalore and lived in the US for 6 years. Now I'm living in Hyderabad. I'm not sure where should I get the police certificate from. Appreciate your help.

I just got my PCC from Chennai Passport Office. I renewed my passport at SFO. The procedure for PCC is that when you apply for it, they will look identification in the address mentioned in the Passport. Passport Office forwards the application to the local Commissioner office who will notify the local police station, a policeman will come in person to verify your presence at the address in the passport.

So its pretty much the police verification part when you applied for the passport for the first time.

For example, say address X is listed in your passport and you dont live in address X. You would need to do an address change in the passport which would be to provide identification proof at the new address.

However, if you applied for passport at address X in India and your passport is still valid but you have moved. The system at the passport office holds the PCC data valid till your passport expires. In this case one may take a risk telling the passport office that you live in that address listed in your passport and would need to show id proof.

Bottom line is this- PCC is valid for 10 years. If your passport is renewed in India and has not expired, PCC will be issued the same day at any Passport office. However ID needs to be shown with an application form filled out with a fee of 500 ruppees.

If you have renewed outside of India and you dont have ID proof in that address listed in your passport, the passport office will definitely require you to submit proper ID and a policeman will come over to your residence and the check two references that you will need to provide..This process takes about a month for cities and if you live away from a city where there is no passport office this can take upto 2 months.

If you are living in the US and the passport was issued by Indian consulate in US, you may be better off applying for it in a consulate where you renewed your passport. This is best.

Hope this helps :)

Archived