I-485 approval notice undeliverable

hitechcoolie

Gurus,

I need some help with a question. My wife and I got an email last Tuesday from USCIS saying that our I-485 got approved. I got the approval notice by mail this Tuesday. My wife did not get hers and today we got an email message (copied below) saying that the mail was sent back as the post office was not able to deliver it.

When we moved 2 years ago, both my wife and I filled out AR-11 forms online and we have the receipt of those changes. I got my approval notice, but it seems like the address did not get updated for my wife's i-485 application.

I want to check if anyone has faced similar problem. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Worryingly, the status has changed from post decision activity to intial review. Does this mean that the I-485 approval is not valid anymore? Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

-Raj

Application Type: I485 , APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR

TO ADJUST STATUS

Your Case Status: Initial Review

On July 13, 2011, the post office returned the notice we last sent

you on this case I485 APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO

ADJUST STATUS as undeliverable. This may have serious effects on

processing this case. Please call 1-800-375-5283 to update your mailing

address for this notice to be re-sent.

During this step, USCIS initiates the background checks of the applicant/petitioner and identifies

issues that may need to be addressed either during an interview or by asking the applicant/petitioner to

submit additional information or documentation. USCIS reviews the applicant's/petitioner's criminal history,

determines if there are national security concerns that need to be addressed, and reviews the application/petition

for fraud indicators.

Thanks,

What type of appointment should I go for:

We offer 4 kinds of appointments for a case that you have already filed. Please choose from the following -

a) Order from Immigration Court

b) Case Processing Appointment

c) EAD inquiry appointment

d) Case Services follow-up appointment

thanks,

-Raj

• 3 weeks later...

I was told by the USCIS representative that filing AR-11 does not update the status on the pending I-485 case. The applicant needs to notify USCIS of the change of address by calling USCIS explicitly.

It is another story that I actually am in the same situation as yours even after filing AR-11 and calling USCIS. Details of my case as below:

PD: October 5 2007

PD Current: July 1st 2011

Received welcome letter for my wife (2 of those) - one on June 28th 2011 and then next on July 10th 2011. Suspected of incorrect address for my wife with USCIS. Called USCIS on July 11th 2011 and created SR for both myself and my wife about that suspicion. the representative did not confirm anything but created the SRs. Waited for 2 weeks without any action on the case from USCIS and called on July 29th and was asked to wait for 10 more days before calling back.

Received Response letter to SR requst for my wife - August 1st 2011 and was informed that she needs biometrics done and that she should wait for appointment notice for the same.

I am now suspecting that I will need to do the biometrics for myself too.

Currently, thinking of taking INFOPASS appointment.

Does anyone know how soon the appointment date will be typically available for Atlanta field office if I were to schedule it today?

• 2 weeks later...

* Priority Date October 2006 (not 2007)

* Took Infopass appointment with an intent of getting I-551 stamped in passport as we were planning to go outside the country in next 30 days (had the airline ticket)

* At the appointment and we were told that I should expect my card in less than 2 weeks (got it in 2 days after infopass) while they gave I-551 stamp to my wife on her passport. And we were told to wait for the biometrics appointment notice.

Archived