studying on h4

newv

Hi All,

I am currently on my H4, and my husband is on his H1.His H1 would be valid until 2013 apprx and same is wid my H4 visa.

I am actually willing to pursue my MS here in FL may be by this year end i.e dec 2011..It would be almost 1 year after I come to Florida.

My questions are:

1)If I pursue my MS on H4, will I be applicable for OPT or CPT?

2)Is it better for me to go for H4 to F1 conversion or is it risky?

3)If I complete my MS on my H4 ,will I be applicable for special category MS students for H1B application or the H1B lottery that takes place every year?

4)Will I be eligible for the instate tuition fee if am on my H4 for a year exactly from the time I arrived in Florida and is the rule still existing coz the tuition fees are too high for F1 and other visa types?

5)How long does the conversion from H4 to F1 take?

6)I heard that there would be many stamping issues for this type of conversion so very few people choose it?

7)After the completion of my MS on H4 visa,can I apply for H1B visa under both special category for MS students and a general category for all other H1B filings?

8) Do i need to give gre and toefl?

9) what are the advantages and disadvantages of doing ms on h4?

10) are we eligible for tax benefits if we file jointly if i do ms on h4 or f1?

Appreciate your help...I have looked up the forum but some answers seems to be very much confusing...and am running out of time as well for university deadlines

thanks

no you cant get opt if you pursue MS on H4,

it is not risky you just want to study so choose a good accredited university and apply for f1

3)If I complete my MS on my H4 ,will I be applicable for special category MS students for H1B application or the H1B lottery that takes place every year?

if you finish you MS on H4 you wont be applicable for special category MS students for H1b but you can apply in general quota

4)Will I be eligible for the instate tuition fee if am on my H4 for a year exactly from the time I arrived in Florida and is the rule still existing coz the tuition fees are too high for F1 and other visa types?

It depends on how the university is considering most of the universities consider instate if your husband works in the same state your about to study

and i think you can get instate on h4 not on f1(heard some may consider f1 but all depends on the university),

2-3 months currently

6)I heard that there would be many stamping issues for this type of conversion so very few people choose it?

sorry no idea

7)After the completion of my MS on H4 visa,can I apply for H1B visa under both special category for MS students and a general category for all other H1B filings?

if you finish you MS on H4 you wont be applicable for special category MS students for H1b but you can apply in general quota

most of the universities require toefl for sure and this depends on the university so better choose a university and investigate its requirements

ms on h4:- only ppl who want to study and are not looking for job afterwards do there ms on h4

advantage:- less fee

ms on f1 :-ppl who want to work after there ms convert there status to f1 and get opt/cpt after ms and later apply for h1

sorry no idea

Appreciate your help...I have looked up the forum but some answers seems to be very much confusing...and am running out of time as well for university deadlines

thanks

posted May 15, 2011 10:49 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

I was also in ur in situation,did my 2 semesters in h4 and remaining in f1.In my college if you want OPT you have to be a full time student(meaninig you should take atleast 3 courses) for atleast 2 semster in F1.There are lots of variations you can take courses in h4(be a full time student) and apply for F1 on last semester(it is little risky as sometimes it takes more time to get applied and it completely depend on ur college.).Go and talk to international desk in ur college ur planning to join and they will help u for sure!

if you are on h4,no OPT and CPT.

If you want to earn(work part time) and study go for F1(you will complete ur studies within 1.5 to 2 years)..meanwhile family and study go for h4 and later F1(if u study in h4 no use at all)

No idea

it depends on ur college,if staying 1 year makes you instate student by college law,then you will be eligible for the instate tuition fees,which is usually less feees u pay in F1

2-3 months

nope,i did the samething and got my visa stanmped!!!

i am not sure about master category!!but sure on general category,u can apply

again depends on ur college,some needs only toefl and some needs both.Best decision is take an appoinment with student advisor of the course ur planning to take..and talk with them,they will surely help u out

on h4..just study(if ur spouse gets green card within 2 or 3 yrs go for this),otherwise do study on f1

yes ur eliglible for tax benefits on h4

I hope this helps you!!!

Archived