In trouble now - Please help

I have been charged for retail theft and been issued a ordinance violation.this is a first time offense.I live in IL. I have a mandatory court appearance on this case. I have not got a court date yet.

Now, my company is filling for a GC for me.How will this effect my background check? will this be a setback to my record? please let me know what i should do? should i plea guilty or not-guilty? will this case come up in the background check during the GC process? can i avoid this? and will my employer be notified?

Please help me I am in trouble now.

Hi,

First thing is don't plead guilty. Try to get an attorney and since this is a First Offense there are fair chances of getting the CASE Dismisseda nd get a probation. So this will help you a lot. But if you plead guilty , you are convicted and you will have bad remark for life long.

So try to get an attorney first ASAP.

• 1 month later...

Have the criminal attorney get input from an immigration attorney regarding the impact of various options that might be available.

The arrest will have to be revealed on the I-485---it asks questions about arrests etc. The case will end up having an in-person interview at the local office.

We have articles about the potential impact of shoplifting on immigration status and benefits on www.Murthy.com. Sometimes, this type of charge is a HUGE problem, and in other situations---depending on procedures, maximum sentences, and plea deals--- it can be resolved.

While it is understood that sometimes people are charged without actual stealing anything, for the most part, this problem is entirely avoidable.

Archived