Is SSN necessary to be on payroll/ paystubs

Pinkie7

I got COS change from H4 to H1 recently and joined a client in july. I am yet to get I797 document. So i cannot apply for SSN right now. If i get the documents soon, i would be applying for SSN soon. As per my employer, i cannot be put on payroll as i donot have SSN. So they are paying me with check right now without any paystub.

Did somebody else also faced the same situation. Is there any way to be on payroll without SSN.

It is not necessary to have an SSN to get paid.

Payroll programs have a way to handle things if the person doesn't have an SSN yet.

Taxes to IRS can also be handled by the payroll program if the person doesn't have an SSN yet.

Point your employer to http://employer-ssa.custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/231

"If the employee applied for a Social Security card but does not yet have a card when you must file the paper Form W-2, enter the words Applied for on the Form W-2.

If you are filing electronically, enter all zeros; e.g., 000-00-0000 in the Social Security number field. When the employee receives the card, file Copy A of Form W-2C, Corrected Wage and Tax Statement, with Social Security to show the employee's number."

Archived